Geriatric Evaluation Management (GEM) services provide inpatient assessment and treatment of complex medical conditions in older people.
It has four aged care wards, with one specialising in the management of dementia.
The hospital healthcare team works with patients and carers and family members to identify patients' needs and develop a treatment plan. Patients are encouraged to be as independent as possible and assisted in self-management.
- continues to provide medical care
- works towards improvement of physical, emotional and memory function
- helps patients learn new skills, knowledge and gain confidence in managing their own health
Older patients often enter the acute setting of the RMH City campus after an episode of ill-health or for surgery. For those older people that need further time to recover or for the older person that is not coping at home in their current situation, they are transferred to the Royal Park Campus.
The healthcare team may include:
- Doctors (including specialists in caring for older patients (geriatricians)
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech pathologist
- Social worker
- Personal Services Assistants
- Pastoral Care workers
We accept GP and specialist referrals for this service.
The ACAS Intake & Response Team welcomes phone calls to discuss potential referrals or to discuss queries in regards to existing referrals.
Referrals are triaged depending on priority.
To refer a patient, complete and fax your referral to ACAS on (03) 9388 1752.
You can use the following forms:
You can also refer your patient online using eReferral.
Referrals should include:
- relevant clinical history for the patient
- the reason for referral
- patient details including address, date of birth and contact phone numbers