The Cardiac Catheter Laboratory is a clinical speciality area that undertakes a range of interventional and diagnostic cardiac procedures.
The Cardiac Catheter Laboratory offers a 24 hour on call service for Acute Myocardial Infarcts through both Emergency and direct ambulance admission. The team in the Cardiac Catheter Laboratory work in conjunction with the Coronary Care, Cardiac Step Down, Cardiology Day Procedure and Intensive Care Units.
The procedures that are undertaken in the Cardiac Cath Lab include:
- Diagnostic angiography
- Full heart studies including congenital studies
- Percutaneous coronary intervention (Stenting) including radial PCI
- ASD/PFO/PDA closures/valvuloplasties
- Complex structural interventions including congenital
- TAVI/transfemoral/apical aortic valve implantation
- Electrophysiology studies
- Electrophysiological ablation procedures including complex 3D mapping
- Pulmonary vein isolation
- Permanent pacemaker implantation
- Implantable cardioverter-defibrillator
We accept GP and specialist referrals for this service.
Referrals are triaged depending on priority. Emergency cases can present to the Emergency & Trauma Service at any time.
To refer a patient, complete and send your referral to Outpatients by fax to (03) 9342 4234.
You can use the following form or a template from your own system:
Referrals should include:
- relevant clinical history for the patient
- the reason for referral
- patient details including address, date of birth and contact phone numbers
- your details and provider number
- the name of the consultant (for Medicare clinics)
- if your patient requires ongoing management, please identify the referral as being "indefinite"
Special referral instructions
GPs can also refer electronically to the arrhythmia clinic via the Melbourne Heart Rhythm website.