The Cardiothoracic Surgery service at the RMH is a recognised world leader in patient care, innovation and patient safety. It is the largest service in Victoria and second largest in Australia.
This service provides consultative and operative services on an elective and emergency basis for patients requiring advanced cardiac, and thoracic surgical care.
We provide the following operative procedures:
- Coronary bypass surgery, including total arterial grafting and off-pump surgery
- Cardiac valve repair and replacement
- Reconstruction and replacement of the thoracic aorta, including the arch
- Electrophysiology surgery for life-threatening arrhythmias
- Correction of congenital cardiac abnormalities in adults
Thoracic Surgery encompasses exploratory and diagnostic procedures, many through minimally invasive techniques. These include:
- Lung and oesophageal tumours
- Management of thoracic trauma
We provide 24 hour emergency cover and availability with eight cardiothoracic surgeons and five registrars. We use three operating rooms, have up to 10 post-operative Intensive Care beds and a 20 bed Ward.
- Professor James Tatoulis (Head of Cardiothoracic Surgery)
- Mr Phillip Antippa (Head of Thoracic Surgery & Lung Cancer Service)
- Mr Stephen Barnett
- Mr Robin Brown
- Mr John Goldblatt
- Mr Marco Larobina
- Mr Simon Moten
- Mr Michael O'Keefe
- Prof Alistair Royse
- Mr Peter Skillington
|Cardiothoracic||City Campus||Outpatients, Level 1 Centre||FRI|
|Cardiothoracic Review||City Campus||Pre-Admission Clinic Reception, Level 2 East||WED|
We accept GP and specialist referrals for this service.
Referrals are triaged depending on priority. Emergency cases can present to the Emergency & Trauma Service at any time.
Your patient may need to attend a Pre-Admission Clinic prior to their procedure.
To refer a patient, complete and fax your referral to Cardiothoracic Surgery on (03) 9342 8863.
You can use the following forms or a template from your own system:
Referrals should include:
- relevant clinical history for the patient
- the reason for referral
- patient details including address, date of birth and contact phone numbers
- your provider number
- the name of the consultant (for Medicare clinics)