Diabetes Education offers insulin pump training. We deliver a comprehensive and holistic approach to care providing patients, with the opportunity to optimise their diabetes control, as well as offering lifestyle flexibility.
Before attending pump training
Before attending pump training, patients need to:
- Attend a pre-pump group which offers information on various insulin pumps and the requirements and pre-requisites for pumping
- Attend the RMH Pump Clinic to assess your suitability
- See a dietitian to learn carbohydrate counting and gain confirmation in writing of carbohydrate counting competence
- Get written confirmation from your health insurance company that the cost of the pump will be covered in full
- Complete frequent blood glucose monitoring and recording
- Complete online learning modules specific to their pump
- Order pump consumables and additional supplies
Once training date is booked
- Patients are admitted as a day patient for initial training and education
- Follow up appointments are booked for 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 6 months and 1 year post pump initiation.
- Email and phone contact with the diabetes education team is offered as well as insulin pump company emergency contact information
- Upload and self-interpretation of pump data is an integral component of the process
Pump Upgrade Requirements
Individuals are admitted to RMH as a day patients for pump upgrades.
Referral from an RMH Endocrinologist and private health insurance with a basic hospital cover are required for enrolment into the RMH pump upgrade program.
Health insurers only provide cover for a pump upgrade if the patient’s current pump is greater than 4 years old and / or out of warranty andfaulty. Patients are required to check with their health insurer regarding their policy on pump upgrades.
In preparation for a pump upgrade, the process followed at RMH requires the patient complete all the steps as for initial pump training. Refresher appointments with a dietitian is recommended.
Upload of the old pump with their current settings is recommended prior to admission for training.