Gastroenterology and Hepatology provides inpatient and outpatient services.
Gastroenterology and Hepatology provides a wide range of services, covering all aspects of the following:
- Luminal gastroenterology
- Familial bowel cancer
- Liver and hepatobiliary disease
- Pancreatic disease
- Coeliac disease
- Oesophageal diseases (swallowing disorders and reflux)
- Hepatology (Hepatitis C, general hepatology)
- Clinical nutrition (including home parenteral nutrition)
- Hepatocellular carcinoma (multidisciplinary meeting, management)
- IBD Pregnancy clinic (attended by both IBD specialists and a specialised obstetrician)
- Intestinal ultrasound (IBD/functional bowel disease)
The Gastroenterology Endoscopy Suite provides day procedures for Upper and Lower Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, EUS, EMR and ERCP.
Our outpatient services include a Clinical Nutrition Service, and stationary videomanometry.
Gut focused psychology is available bulk billed through the department with a valid mental health plan. Services include:
- support in managing gut-related symptoms
- treatment of any mental health issues and / or stressors affecting your health
Inpatient services consist most frequently of patients with decompensated liver disease, inflammatory bowel disease and gastrointestinal bleeding.
We accept GP and specialist referrals for this service.
Referrals are triaged depending on priority. Emergency cases can present to the Emergency & Trauma Service at any time.
To refer a patient, complete and send your referral to Outpatients by fax to (03) 9342 4234.
You can use the following form or a template from your own system:
Referrals should include:
- relevant clinical history for the patient
- the reason for referral
- patient details including address, date of birth and contact phone numbers
- your details and provider number
- the name of the consultant (for Medicare clinics)
- if your patient requires ongoing management, please identify the referral as being "indefinite"
Special referral instructions
- Please include relevant investigations (LFTs, hepatitis serology, imaging results)
- Some general gastroenterology is also seen in liver medical clinics on occasion
- Fax all clinic referrals to Outpatients
- Fax oesophageal manometry referrals to Oesophageal manometry
- Fax genetic referrals to Familial Cancer Centre