Gastroenterology and Hepatology provides inpatient and outpatient services.
Gastroenterology and Hepatology provides a wide range of services, covering all aspects of the following:
- Luminal gastroenterology
- Familial bowel cancer
- Liver and hepatobiliary disease
- Pancreatic disease
- Coeliac disease
- Oesophageal diseases (swallowing disorders and reflux)
- Hepatology (Hepatitis C, general hepatology)
- Clinical nutrition (including home parenteral nutrition)
- Hepatocellular carcinoma (multidisciplinary meeting, management)
- IBD Pregnancy clinic (attended by both IBD specialists and a specialised obstetrician)
- Intestinal ultrasound (IBD/functional bowel disease)
The Gastroenterology Endoscopy Suite provides day procedures for Upper and Lower Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, EUS, EMR and ERCP.
Our outpatient services include a Clinical Nutrition Service, and stationary videomanometry.
Gut focused psychology is available bulk billed through the department with a valid mental health plan. Services include:
- support in managing gut-related symptoms
- treatment of any mental health issues and / or stressors affecting your health
Inpatient services consist most frequently of patients with decompensated liver disease, inflammatory bowel disease and gastrointestinal bleeding.
|Coeliac||City Campus||Outpatients, Level 1 South||THU|
|Gastro Surveillance||City Campus||Outpatients, Level 1 Centre||FRI|
|Gastro Videomanometry||City Campus||Gastroenterology Reception, Level 3 Centre||FRI|
|Gastro/Hepatology||City Campus||Outpatients, Level 1 South||WED, THU|
|Gastro/Hepatology||City Campus||Outpatients, Level 1 South||WED|
|Gastroenterology||City Campus||Outpatients, Level 1 South||WED|
|Hepatocellular Cancer||City Campus||Outpatients, Level 1 South||MON|
|Inflammatory Bowel||City Campus||Outpatients, Level 1 South||MON, THU|
|Inflammatory Bowel Pregnancy||City Campus||Outpatients, Level 1 South||THU|
|Liver||City Campus||Outpatients, Level 1 South||WED|
|Liver Medical||City Campus||Outpatients, Level 1 South||WED|
|Luminal Gastroenterology||City Campus||Outpatients, Level 1 South||THU|
|Neurogastroenterology||City Campus||Outpatients, Level 1 South||WED|
|TPN Nutrition||City Campus||Outpatients, Level 1 South||WED|
We accept GP and specialist referrals for this service.
Referrals are triaged depending on priority. Emergency cases can present to the Emergency & Trauma Service at any time.
To refer a patient, complete and send your referral to Outpatients by fax to (03) 9342 4234.
You can use the following form or a template from your own system:
Referrals should include:
- relevant clinical history for the patient
- the reason for referral
- patient details including address, date of birth and contact phone numbers
- your details and provider number
- the name of the consultant (for Medicare clinics)
- if your patient requires ongoing management, please identify the referral as being "indefinite"
Special referral instructions
- Please include relevant investigations (LFTs, hepatitis serology, imaging results)
- Some general gastroenterology is also seen in liver medical clinics on occasion
- Fax all clinic referrals to Outpatients
- Fax oesophageal manometry referrals to Oesophageal manometry
- Fax genetic referrals to Familial Cancer Centre