The Maxillofacial Prosthetics Department works closely with the Royal Melbourne Hospital surgical units, to improve the quality of life for individuals with compromised facial and dental anatomy by creating custom prostheses and splints.
Our services include:
- Full spectrum of high cosmesis silicone facial prostheses, including implant retained devices (external and internal referrals accepted for these services)
Dental prostheses and splints
- The design and manufacture of specialised dental prostheses
- Orthognathic dental splints
- Splints for facial fractures - dental technology services are provided to patients of the Royal Melbourne Hospital surgical units only
The process of making a facial prosthesis involves several visits by the patient in person. Complete healing, with no swelling present, is required to begin the process. Sufficient healing after radiotherapy can typically take 3-6 months and will vary with the type of prosthesis and retention method.
Patients suitable for an orbital prosthesis will be referred to an ocularist by the Maxillofacial team prior to making the patient a prosthesis.
We accept written GP, specialist and allied health referrals for this service.
To refer a patient, fax your referral letter to Maxillofacial Prosthetics on (03) 9342 7518.
Referrals should include:
- relevant clinical history for the patient
- the reason for referral
- patient details including address, date of birth and contact phone numbers
- your details and provider number
- the name of the consultant (for Medicare clinics)