The RMH Kidney Care service is an important state-wide quaternary comprehensive renal service that provides an integrated renal disease, dialysis and transplant service and is the largest renal service in Victoria.
We have nationally and internationally recognised experts in transplantation, medicine and surgery, metabolic renal disease, home dialysis therapy, mineral and bone disease, inflammation, haemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis and diabetic renal disease.
Find out more about the RMH Kidney Care team.
We have physicians with research or clinical expertise in all of the following fields:
- Acute Kidney Injury
- Autoimmune renal disease
- Calcium disturbance
- Cardiovascular complications of kidney disease
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Complement mediated disease
- Connective tissue disease (eg Scleroderma)
- Diabetic renal disease
- Fabry Disease
- Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis (FSGS)
- Haemolytic Uraemic Syndrome
- Hepatorenal syndrome
- HIV/antiretroviral related renal disease
- IgA Nephropathy
- Inherited renal disease
- Disorders of FGF23/klotho
- Kidney stones
- Membranous Nephropathy
- Metabolic Renal disease
- Myeloma Kidney
- Obstetric Nephrology
- Polycystic kidney disease
- Phosphate disturbance
- Retroperitoneal Fibrosis
- Transplant complications
- Tuberous Sclerosis
- Vascular access complications
- The largest transplant service in Victoria
- The Coordinating centre for the paired kidney exchange program
- World leader in pioneering ABO blood group incompatible transplantation
- New approaches and technologies in the treatment of highly sensitized patients and renowned for accepting difficult transplants
- We transplant a great proportion of our patients with kidney failure, more than most units in Australia but still have excellent results, comparable to any unit in Australia and around the world
- Leading Victoria in the transplant pathway efficiency as measured by the Department of Health KPIs
- Sophisticated transplant service providing cutting edge techniques for Victoria and Tasmania as well as for difficult Victorian cases referred from other units
- One of the largest home training centres proving support for both home haemodialysis (HHD) and peritoneal dialysis (PD)
- A world leader in PD and home dialysis
- Supporting the largest number of satellite HD units in Victoria
- Comprehensive and experienced dialysis service providing support for many rural centres with better than Australian survival figures for dialysis patients.
- Research and Teaching
- Strong commitment to improvement through research and innovation
- Major Australian and International centre for conducting clinical trials
- Quaternary renal disease management eg Fabry disease, diabetic renal disease, renal pathology, tuberous sclerosis.
- Excellent record and future in basic and translational research and teaching
- Major contributor to global and national bodies
- Widely based, well-funded and well published research record
- Renal symptom control program
- Nurse practitioners
- Technical services
- Well developed IT infrastructure
- Key performance indicators
- ANZDATA reporting
We accept referrals for this service.
Referrals are triaged depending on priority. Emergency cases can present to the Emergency & Trauma Service at any time.
To refer a patient, complete and fax your referral to Nephrology on (03) 9347 1420.
You can use our Renal Referral Form or a template from your own system.
Referrals should include:
- relevant clinical history for the patient
- the reason for referral
- patient details including address, date of birth and contact phone numbers
- your details and provider number
- the name of the consultant (for Medicare clinics)
Consider making referrals for chronic conditions indefinite.