The Royal Melbourne Hospital provides a number of ways for patients to receive dialysis.
Dialysis services include:
- Acute dialysis and plasma exchange - In-patient and out-patient dialysis for unstable patients and all plasma exchange treatments.
- Home dialysis - Based at the City Campus of the Royal Melbourne Hospital, supporting both peritoneal dialysis (PD) and home haemodialysis (HHD).
- Metropolitan satellite haemodialysis - Large centres in Coburg and Essendon Fields, ward 6 West at the RMH City Campus and Home Haemodialysis also at the RMH City Campus.
- Holiday dialysis - Dialysis is available for both Australian and overseas patients throughout Melbourne and regional Victoria.
- Peritoneal dialysis - Manual exchange technique (CAPD) and a machine exchange technique (APD).
- Regional and rural dialysis - Satellite dialysis services in Victoria.
We accept referrals for this service.
Referrals are triaged depending on priority. Emergency cases can present to the Emergency & Trauma Service at any time.
To refer a patient, complete and fax your referral to Nephrology on (03) 9347 1420.
You can use our Renal Referral Form or a template from your own system.
Referrals should include:
- relevant clinical history for the patient
- the reason for referral
- patient details including address, date of birth and contact phone numbers
- your details and provider number
- the name of the consultant (for Medicare clinics)
Consider making referrals for chronic conditions indefinite.