The Royal Melbourne Hospital Comprehensive Stroke Care Centre is a world renowned tertiary academic unit that provides leading care for patients across Victoria.
We provide a complete range of pre-hospital, inpatient and outpatient services including:
- Endovascular clot retrieval – designated statewide stroke neuro-interventional centre (Director of Neurointervention, Professor Peter Mitchell)
- Mobile stroke unit – Australia’s first CT-equipped stroke treatment ambulance
- Acute stroke thrombolysis
- Neurosurgical referral service
- Multimodal CT and MRI imaging
- 20 bed stroke and neurology inpatient ward with telemetry monitoring
- stroke rehabilitation services
- stroke, TIA and Cerebrovascular outpatient clinics
The Royal Melbourne Hospital Stroke Unit is staffed at all hours by an on call neurology registrar. As a designated statewide endovascular centre, endovascular clot retrieval services are also available at all hours for patients across Victoria.
The Royal Melbourne Hospital Stroke Research Group is based in the Melbourne Brain Centre and runs an active program including world-leading clinical trials. Professor Davis and colleagues hold the prestigious top-ranked National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) program grant for innovative research into acute stroke. The Royal Melbourne Hospital has produced world renowned clinical trials in endovascular clot retrieval (EXTEND-IA) and stroke thrombolysis (EXTEND-IA TNK). Patients may be asked to participate in our research projects to help improve the care and treatment of stroke patients in future.
We accept GP and specialist referrals for this service.
Referrals are triaged depending on priority. Emergency cases can present to the Emergency & Trauma Service at any time.
To refer a patient, complete and send your referral to Outpatients by fax to (03) 9342 4234.
You can use the following form or a template from your own system:
Referrals should include:
- relevant clinical history for the patient
- the reason for referral
- patient details including address, date of birth and contact phone numbers
- your details and provider number
- the name of the consultant (for Medicare clinics)
- if your patient requires ongoing management, please identify the referral as being "indefinite"