The Prosthetics and Orthotics service provides a complete upper and lower limb rehabilitation service for patients requiring a prosthesis.
Our clinical staff, work together with medical and allied health teams to prescribe, design and fit the most appropriate device to ensure patients have the best functional outcome.
The Prosthetic and Orthotics service provides the following services:
- Prosthetic rehabilitation
- Preoperative consultation
- Post-operative prosthetic interventions
- Outpatient rehabilitation
- Definitive prosthetic program
- Orthotic management for RMH Royal Park Campus rehabilitation ward, aged care and neurotherapy inpatients
- Ongoing education for inpatients and outpatients
- Amputee Clinic
The Prosthetic and Orthotics service offers a Lower Limb Prosthetics and Amputee Rehabilitation Course in late February on even years.
A GP referral is required to attend this clinic.
The Direct Access Unit welcomes phone enquiries. To discuss referrals (potential or existing) please contact (03) 8387 2333.
Referrals are triaged depending on priority. Emergency cases can present to the Emergency and Trauma Service at any time.
To refer a patient, complete and fax your referral to Direct Access Unit on (03) 8387 2217
You can use the following forms or a template from your own system.
Referrals should include:
patient details including address, date of birth and contact phone numbers
the reason for referral
- relevant clinical history for the patient
- list of current medications
- any risks to clients or staff
the name of the consultant (for Medicare clinics)
- your details and provider number (if applicable)
- TAC or WorkCover claim details