The RMH COVID-19 infusion centre is a multipurpose space for patients who require treatment (new or ongoing) whilst COVID positive.
The Centre provides space and specialist nursing to patients who require:
- Ongoing pathology where attendance at a regular pathology service is not accessible
- Lifesaving drug therapies
- Blood Transfusions
- Ongoing IVIg
- Medical Procedures/Dressings (in consultation with nursing staff)
The Centre provides approved access to antiviral therapies for patients at risk of developing severe symptoms or death due to the COVID 19 Virus.
Differentiating eligibility and appropriateness for treatment is essential.
Download the National COVID-19 Clinical Evidence Taskforce's guidelines to ensure whether Paxlovid or Remdesivir are appropriate for your patient.
You should also check that the patient is eligible for Paxlovid via the PBS.
Important considerations for determining suitability for Paxlovid. The patient must:
- Be within 5 days of symptom onset (symptoms commence day 0)
- Meet PBS criteria
- Not be allergic to Paxlovid components
- Not be pregnant
- Have no severe liver impairment
- Have renal function greater than 30mL/min
- If above 60mL/min the patient can have full dose if they meet the criteria
- If between 30ml/min – 60mL/min the patient can have reduced dose if they meet the criteria
- Be above 40kg
- Be able to swallow tablets whole
- Not be at risk of any drug interactions – refer to the University of Liverpool Covid-19 drug interaction checker.
If the patient is HIV positive and has a HIV viral load greater than 400 copies, call (03) 9342 7000 and ask to speak to the VIDS on call registrar for advice.
If the patient is eligible for Paxlovid and it is appropriate, issue the patient a PBS prescription to fill at their local pharmacy.
You can also prescribe molnupiravir as an alternative if eligibligle under the PBS.
If the patient is not suitable for Paxlovid they may be appropriate for Remdesivir infusions at the COVID-19 Infusion Centre.
Email the COVID-19 Infusion Centre with your request for admission with background information and state why the patient is not appropriate for Paxlovid and Remdesivir is required. Please be sure to complete and attach the below request to access form.
The Victorian COVID Therapies PBS Prescriber Helpline is now live. The helpline is to support PBS prescribers in the prescription of oral antivirals nirmatrelvir and ritonavir (Paxlovid™) and molnupiravir (Lagevrio™) to COVID-19 patients within the community. You can call on (03) 8290 3801 between 8am - 5pm every day.