The Victorian Infectious Diseases Service (VIDS) provides inpatient and outpatient services, including management of travel and tropical diseases, HIV/AIDS, viral hepatitis and tuberculosis.
We have a strong focus on links with public health, hospital-acquired infections and optimisation of antibiotic use.
We provide a full range of inpatient and outpatient infectious diseases services, with a special focus on travel-related and tropical infections, HIV/AIDS, hepatitis, tuberculosis and hospital-acquired infections.
- VIDS launched their restricted drugs approval system (iApprove) as a central component of Guidance decision support.
- VIDS has undertaken planning for possible pandemic influenza patient management at a hospital and DHS level. We have commenced specific planning for the site and composition of an Influenza Clinic to triage pandemic influenza patients.
- Negative pressure ventilation rooms have been upgraded to comply with Australian standards. This ensures we provide adequate protection for staff and the community in managing patients with infectious diseases.
- VIDS has supported the development of a "Clinical Code Yellow" team that can be summoned rapidly to provide a coordinated institution-wide response to an issue related to infection control.
- VIDS completed Clinical Code Yellow responses to Intensive Care Unit outbreaks of the nosocomial pathogen acinetobacter as well as unrecognised disseminated varicella-zoster virus on the Renal unit with efficient identification of infection prevention priorities.
- We encouraged expansion of the private Fairfield Travel Clinic to meet increased demand for pre-travel health advice that is not provided at public hospitals.
- We supported development of coordinated statewide counselling services for occupational and non-occupational exposure to blood borne pathogens.
- We plan closer links with the University of Melbourne's Department of Microbiology with shared educational programs and clinico-pathological activities including teaching for infectious diseases registrars. This builds on the support VIDS provided for a clinical Registrar in the Microbiology Department.
- We aim to improve the health of refugees in Victoria by improving clinical services, both at the specialist and primary care level, providing education to GPs and other health providers, especially in the field of infectious diseases, and conducting translational research to inform ‘best’ clinical practice. We also advocate for optimal clinical care and preventive health for refugees in a variety of forums, including with Government, NGO’s and other stake holders.
Find out more about our clinical initiatives at the VIDS website.
Research activities and projects
We have an active research program, and have established strong links with public health.
- Antibiotic Stewardship
- Health-related infections
- Immigrant and refugees
- Immunocompromised patients
- Journal Club
- Mathematical Modelling
- Sepsis studies
- Travel Medicine
Find out more about our research at the VIDS website.
We accept referrals for this service.
Referrals are triaged depending on priority. Emergency cases can present to the Emergency & Trauma Service at any time.
To refer a patient, complete and fax your referral to VIDS on (03) 9342 7277.
You can use the following forms or a template from your own system:
Referrals should include:
- relevant clinical history for the patient
- the reason for referral
- patient details including address, date of birth and contact phone numbers
- your provider number
- the name of the consultant (for Medicare clinics)
Consider making referrals for chronic conditions indefinite.
|Adverse Immunisations||City Campus||VIDS Reception, Level 9 North||WED|
|Fibroscan||City Campus||VIDS Reception, Level 9 North||THU|
|Hepatitis||City Campus||Suite 10/11, Private Medical Suites, Melbourne Private Hospital||THU|
|Hepatitis||City Campus||VIDS Reception, Level 9 North||MON|
|Hepatitis Registrar||City Campus||VIDS Reception, Level 9 North||MON|
|Infectious Diseases||City Campus||VIDS Reception, Level 9 North||WED|
|Infectious Diseases||City Campus||VIDS Reception, Level 9 North||THU|
|Infectious Diseases||City Campus||VIDS Reception, Level 9 North||MON|
|Infectious Diseases Registrar||City Campus||VIDS Reception, Level 9 North||WED|
|Infectious Diseases Telehealth||City Campus||VIDS Reception, Level 9 North||TUE|
|Refugee Health Assessment||City Campus||VIDS Reception, Level 9 North||TUE|
|Tuberculosis||City Campus||VIDS Reception, Level 9 North||FRI|
|VIDS Telehealth Clinic||City Campus||Level 9 North||TUE, THU|