The Skills Training for Anaesthetic Residents (STAR) course is designed for junior anaesthetic trainees and residents entering the anaesthetic training program. The full day course covers a range of technical and non technical skills, working to bridging the knowledge gap as well as developing skills in crisis management, leadership, and team management.
Participants will work in small groups with a high faculty to participant ratio, rotating through stations including airway management, advanced life support, can't intubate, can't oxygenate, case based discussions and high fidelity, high technology simulations.
STAR runs in Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane (TBC) usually one or twice per year in each location. It is a full day, fully catered course with a high faculty:participant ratio. The course covers airway management, planning for intubation and extubation, anaesthetic assessment, advanced life support and management of anaesthetic crises, initial management of intra-operative deterioration and professional practice. Participants will work in small groups with a high faculty to participant ratio, rotating through 90 minute stations.
The faculty are experienced anaesthetists and anaesthetic trainees who are enthusiastic about teaching and supporting professional development of junior clinicians.
A sample schedule for the day:
|7:45 Register and change into scrubs|
9:00 Session 1
10:45 Session 2
|13:00 Session 3|
14:45 Session 4
16:30 Interview preparation and course feedback
17:00 Participants finish
Register interest for upcoming STAR courses in Perth
Frequently asked questions
What’s the best time in my training to do STAR?
We recommend some anaesthetic experience. STAR is designed for participants who have 6-12 months of previous experience in anaesthesia or critical care as an HMO 2/3. This course is not appropriate for interns or medical students.
I don’t have a critical care job, can I still do STAR?
You can still register for the course but we strongly encourage you to have at least two years of postgraduate experience in this case. Please consider what your goals are in doing STAR and read the information on the website carefully. STAR covers airway planning, preparation and management, crisis management especially anaesthesia-specific crises and initial management of deterioration under anaesthesia, and professionalism.
I missed out on registering, how can I register for the next one?
See above for how to add your name to the waiting list. Please note that this does not guarantee a place on a course. If a course is cancelled, our priority is rebooking those who missed out where possible.
How can I find out dates for future STAR courses?
Please see above-the link is sent out to the mailing list before it goes live on the website. Some dates are advertised in advance.
Can I go on the waitlist for the next course?
If there is a link on the Trybooking registration site, then add yourself to the waitlist there. If there is no link, it means the waitlist is full. Please follow the instructions to add yourself to the mailing list above.
I’m working nights before the course, does it definitely start at on time?
We encourage you to arrive promptly and leave plenty of time for COVID protocols at the course centre. Arriving on time for a list is considered an important part of anaesthetic practice. You will be provided with scrubs to change into on arrival at the course centre.
I’ve registered for an interstate course but I’m not sure I can travel. Can I get a refund?
Please see our cancellation policy. In most cases, only an administration fee is charged. Cancellation less than two weeks from the course (ie., by 5pm Friday two weeks prior to the course) will result in significant work from our admin team and therefore full refund is not possible. In the event of border closures, we are unfortunately unable to offer a refund. We recommend that you purchase travel insurance when you register for the course in case you are unable to attend at short notice.
My course has been cancelled by the centre, what happens to my registration?
We’re really sorry that’s happened . This is usually because of a COVID-related public health directive. In this case, you will receive a full refund or a transfer to a future course at no cost to you.
I want to transfer my registration to a later course, how can I do this?
Please see our cancellation policy-with sufficient notice we are able to facilitate a once off transfer of your course registration to a later course. You will need to pay any difference in fees for the later course. Please email email@example.com with ‘Cancellation STAR’ in the subject line.
Can you write me a reference / look over my CV / give me interview practice / mentor me once the course is finished?
No. We suggest finding a mentor close to home as that’s likely to be more contextually appropriate. Similarly, local people who are involved in the appointment process are more likely to be able to help with specific issues and help you optimise your CV and references, as well as appropriate interview practice. If you work with one of the faculty, they would be very happy to help you find a mentor within the department as this is an important part of your career development.
Course cancellation, refund and transfer policy
- Cancellations and Deferments - must be advised in writing or via email:
- Cancellation advised in writing or via email, more than 6 weeks prior to the scheduled course date are entitled to refund less $50 admin fee.
- Cancellations received within 6 weeks prior to the course will incur a financial penalty of 50% of the registration fee or transfer to future course at our discretion
- Cancellations within 2 weeks of the course are not entitled to any refund or transfer to future course.
- First deferment advised in writing or via email, more than 6 weeks prior to the scheduled course date will generally not incur a financial penalty
- First deferment advised in writing or via email, within 6 weeks prior to the scheduled course date an additional 50% of the registration fee will be payable.
- A second deferment will incur a penalty of 100% of the registration fee.
- Cancellation or deferment due to illness supported by a medical certificate (must be from a medical practitioner not a colleague ) will not incur a financial penalty.
- A refund will not be granted if a registrant fails to attend, cancels or defer up to 2 weeks prior to the course.
- Full payment is required upon registration.
- RMH reserves the right to cancel planned courses and symposia, even at short notice. In the event of cancellation by RMH, all course fees will be refunded. This precludes any other claims.
- If a nominated presenter cannot take a course another faculty member will be engaged by RMH.
RMH is committed to protecting your privacy and the confidentiality and security of personal information provided by you to us. The personal information you provide in this form will be used by RMH to:
- Process your registration form, which may include updating your record and profile information;
- Contact you in the event of cancellation;
- Conduct analysis or market research to identify the ongoing needs of registrants;
- Provide you with access to information about a range of current and future courses and associated events administered by RMH.
RMH may disclose the personal information, which you provide to external service providers to whom we have contracted out functions such as printers or mailing houses, but only for the purposes outlined above. You have a right to access any personal information, which RMH holds about you, subject to the exceptions in the Privacy Act 1988.
Please contact RMH if you would like to access or correct the personal information we hold about you.
Participants responsibility to RMH :
- If required, participants are to provide proof of professional status
- Participants are to arrange own parking.
- RMH will not be liable for loss of personal property or parking fines incurred.
- Participants agree to read and abide by all Melbourne Health and Safety Guidelines provided.
Media release authority
During your participation in our courses, still photographs and video recordings may be taken that at times RMH may use for educational, administration or promotional purposes.