Major works are continuing to build the new Parkville Station. The next phase of construction for Parkville Station involves the investigation of underground utility services on Grattan Street west and Royal Parade from early April until May 2019. This will involve changes to traffic and pedestrian conditions.
To prepare for service relocations, work is required to confirm the exact location of utility services under the footpath and road in Grattan Street between Royal Parade and Flemington Road and on Royal Parade/Elizabeth Street.
Works will involve saw cutting and non-destructive digging to expose the underground service and confirm its location before reinstating the footpath or road.
Following the completion of service investigations, work will begin to relocate the underground utility services from mid-2019 before construction begins on two new station entrances on Grattan Street west in 2020.
What to be aware of
From early April to May 2019, you can expect:
- Temporary, staged lane and footpath closures on Grattan St between Royal Parade and Flemington Road, and on the Elizabeth Street/Royal Parade northbound service lane between Haymarket Roundabout and just north of the RMH
- Vehicle and pedestrian access will be maintained with diversions in place
- Access to hospitals, including for emergency services, and to businesses will be maintained
- Access to hospital car parks will be maintained
- No impact to bus or tram services during these works
Delays are expected so remember to plan ahead and allow extra travel time to get to RMH City Campus, as well as following the signage in the area.
Grattan Street east remains closed to traffic between Royal Parade and Leicester Street.
For further information visit the Metro Tunnel website or call the Metro Tunnel Project Information line on 1800 105 105 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week).