Construction of the Metro Tunnel may cause some delays for you coming to or leaving the hospital.
Construction of the Metro Tunnel may cause some delays for you coming to or leaving the hospital - remember to plan ahead and allow plenty of extra travel time to get to the hospital, as well as following the signage in the area.
While the Parkville Station entrances around the Royal Melbourne Hospital are being built, there are long-term changes to access and parking.
- From March 2021 to late 2022, the Elizabeth Street / Royal Parade northbound service lane will close to construct the future Parkville Station entrances
- Grattan Street is closed to vehicles, between Flemington Road and Elizabeth Street/Royal Parade, from February 2020 for three years.
- Grattan Street eastbound is closed to public vehicles
- The right hand-turn from Royal Parade southbound lane into Grattan Street is closed to public vehicles.
- The Elizabeth Street/Royal Parade northbound service lanes, between Haymarket Roundabout and to just north of the Royal Melbourne Hospital are closed.
- Access to hospitals, hospital car park, and ambulances will be maintained at all times.
- There will be pedestrian detours implemented throughout the project with signage to help you get to where you want to be.
Road closures in Parkville from March 2021
This video explains changes to traffic and transport and alternative routes to hospital car parks and Grattan Street for service relocations:
Visit the Metro Tunnel Project website for more information.
To plan your travel on public transport, visit the Public Transport Victoria website.