If you are in hospital for a longer stay, your risk of getting a blood clot in your leg or your lung is much higher than usual.
To prevent blood clots, you can:
- Move your legs and ankles around as much as you can while you are in bed
- Drink fluids regularly, or as recommended by your nurse or doctor
- Take all your tablets or injections as advised by your doctor
- Wear compression stockings (if your doctor advises)
- Use a foot pump (if your doctor advises)
What matters to you, matters to us. For more information about how we will work with you to keep you safe while you’re in hospital go to Your safety is our priority.