You can fall over in hospital due to the unfamiliar environment, when you are feeling unwell or when you are on certain medications.
To help prevent falls, you can:
- Ask your nurse and doctor about your falls risk and individual falls prevention plan
- “Call, don’t fall”. If you need help, ask staff for assistance when moving and wait until they come to help you
- Look out for hazards that may cause a fall such as spills and clutter and tell staff about them promptly
- Take your time when getting up from sitting or lying down and let staff know if you feel unwell or unsteady on your feet
- Wear comfortable, well-fitting non-slip shoes. If you don’t have any well-fitting shoes with you, ask your nurse about non-slip socks
What matters to you, matters to us. For more information about how we will work with you to keep you safe while you’re in hospital go to Your safety is our priority.