The Royal Melbourne Hospital provides drug and alcohol support to current inpatients who have been identified with drug and alcohol issues.

The drug and alcohol service can provide the following support:

  • work with your treating medical team and ward staff to help manage your drug and alcohol problem
  • manage your alcohol withdrawal in hospital
  • manage your drug withdrawal in hospital, including opioids, psychostimulants, cannabis, benzodiazepines, and other mind-altering drugs
  • provide your treating team with advice on how to manage your pain if opioid tolerant or resistant because of illicit drug use of opioid substitution pharmacotherapy
  • provide advice on community services available to help you once you leave the hospital

Who can use our services

If you are an inpatient of the hospital and require drug and alcohol support you will be seen by a member from the hospital's Addiction Medicine team.


Drug & Alcohol Liaison City Campus Outpatients, Level 1 Centre THU

In a medical emergency, call 000. If you are feeling unwell, see your local GP or go to your local hospital Emergency department for help.