Our Immunology and Allergy service is Victoria's most comprehensive centre for allergies and immune system disorders.

We care for people who are in hospital, have been to hospital or need to come to hospital for:

  • Allergy skin testing
  • Respiratory allergy - rhinitis, chronic sinusitis, hayfever and asthma
  • Food allergies
  • Allergen desensitisation (immunotherapy) - for stinging insect venom allergy and respiratory allergies like hayfever
  • Anaphylaxis - sever allergic reactions
  • Testing for general anaesthetic
  • Assessment of other drug allergies, such as antibiotics
  • Mastocytosis - a rare blood disorder

How to access this service

You need a referral from your GP or medical practitioner to access this service.

Your GP will fax your referral to the hospital. Once we receive the referral, we will send you a letter.

If there is a waiting list, you'll be advised what to do in your letter.

Referrals are current for 12 months from the date of issue, unless it is specified as "indefinite". Keep a copy of your referral, so you can easily ask your GP to renew your referral if you need to.


Allergy City Campus Outpatients, Level 1 South East TUE, FRI
Immunogenetics City Campus Familial Cancer Reception, Level 2 Centre WED
Immunology City Campus Outpatients, Level 1 South THU

What to bring

Every time you come to hospital

Every time you come to hospital for a test, day procedure, surgery or treatment, you should bring:

  • Medicare card
  • Health Care card (if you have one)
  • Concession card (if you have one)
  • Adverse drug alert card (if you have one)
  • Medications you are currently taking, including any that you have bought without a prescription
  • X-ray films, scans, ultrasounds or any other test results you have which are related to your procedure
  • Private health insurance card (if you want to use it)
  • Aids (glasses, hearing aid, walking frame)
For a clinic appointment

If you come for a clinic appointment, you should also bring:

  • Your appointment book
  • Your appointment letter
  • Any special items listed on your letter
  • TAC or Workcover claim number

In a medical emergency, call 000. If you are feeling unwell, see your local GP or go to your local hospital Emergency department for help.