The Office for Research oversees all aspects of research at RMH, with the major component of work arising from the operation of the Human Research Ethics Committee and the governance of research projects undertaken at or by RMH.
The fees charged represent only partial recovery of the total cost of providing ethical and governance oversight. Fees have been set based on the total (human and other) resources required to review a new research project upon submission and then to monitor and manage it over its lifetime.
The fee structure is competitive with those imposed by similar organisations and reflects the actual resource allocation to the process of scientific and ethical review.
- The Office for Research will charge either a governance or ethics fee for new research projects - but not both.
- Fees are payable at the time of submission
Download: New Submission Fee Payment Form
|Ethics or Governance new research project fees||Total (incl. GST)|
|Commercially sponsored study - First Time in Humans Clinical Trial||$7,700|
|Commercially sponsored study - single site project||$6,050|
|Commercially sponsored study - multiple site project (including governance only submissions)||$7,700|
|Commercially sponsored sub-study or an observational study - single site project||$3,300|
|Commercially sponsored sub-study or an observational study - multi-site project||$5,500|
Investigator-initiated CTN clinical trial - commercially supported
|Investigator-initiated research project - commercially supported||$1,100|
Investigator-initiated CTN clinical trial - not commercially sponsored
|Other projects - Non-Melbourne Health protocol||$550|
|Other projects - Melbourne Health protocol||$220|
|Quality Assurance project||$110|
|Investigator-initiated CTN clinical trial with -commercially supported||Funding and/or investigational product provided by pharmaceutical or device company|
|Investigator-initiated CTN clinical trial -|
not commercially supported
|Funding obtained for a source other than a pharmaceutical or device company, e.g. NHMRC, NIH, hospital, collaborative group.|
|Investigator-initiated research project - commercially supported||Funding provided by commercial entity, e.g. pharmaceutical, device, biotech companies.|
Amendment Fee Schedule (effective 1 September 2020)
Download Amendment Fee Payment Form
Amendment Fee structure
- The fees charged represent only partial recovery of the total cost of providing ethical and governance oversight. Fees have been set based on the total (human and other) resources required to review a new research project upon submission and then to monitor and manage it over its lifetime.
- Fees are payable at the time of submission.
- Fees are cumulative: For example if a submission received for a commercially sponsored project includes an updated Protocol ($880 incl. GST) and Investigator Brochure ($220 incl. GST) the total fee payable will be $1,100 (incl. GST).
Definition of Amendment Type
Minor updates to existing patient-facing documents, protocol clarification letters, advertising material, agreement amendment, single-word changes, etc.
Addition of site to an existing commercially sponsored trial:
These charges are on top of any other Amendment fees.
For example, if a protocol amendment and 2 additional sites are submitted together, the ethics review fee will be $880 plus $1100 for the 2 additional sites ($550 x 2) = $1980 incl. GST
Commercially sponsored studies where Melbourne Health is the reviewing HREC
Total (incl. GST)
|Major Amendment submitted within one month of ethics approval||1430|
|Protocol Amendment only||880|
|Updated Investigator Brochure (IB)||220|
|Addition of Site to existing clinical trials||550 per site|
Commercially sponsored studies for Governance Only Review (where Melbourne Health is not the reviewing HREC)
|Protocol Amendment only||660|
|New or amended Patient Information & Consent Form (PICF) and/or patient-facing documents only||220|
|Change to the Melbourne Health Principal Investigator||220|
Non-commercially sponsored projects
|Addition of sites - note this fee is per submission, not per site added||110|
|All other amendments including Administrative changes||No Fee|
- Fees are payable in full at the time of the initial submission of a project or amendment.
- Fees are non-refundable after the Committee review has taken place.
- All payments that are submitted to the Office for Research must be completed using the appropriate fee form.
- Melbourne Health does not issue invoices for payment of fees.
- A receipt of fee will be issued only upon request.