The application and management of externally funded grants is administered through the Office for Research. The process of grants administration ensures that the terms and conditions of the funding body are met by both the investigator and RMH.
Applying for external grants
Applications to external funding bodies must be submitted to the Office for Research two-weeks before the funding body's deadline. This will provide the Office time to ensure that your application complies with the funding rules and to ensure that the organisation's details are correct.
- Notify the Manager Office for Research as early as possible of the scheme to which you intend to apply by completing and submitting an Application Lodgement Form via SmartyGrants. The Application Lodgement Form informs the Office for Research and your department of your intention to apply.
TIP: The Application Lodgement Form asks for a copy of your application. You need only to submit a draft proposal at this stage.
- Submit the completed grant application to the Office for Research at least two weeks prior to the Funding Scheme closing date.
- For NHMRC applications, notify the office by email that your application is ready for review on Sapphire.
- Melbourne Health should be identified as your Administering Institution
- The RAO will review the application to ensure it meets the eligibility criteria. Any corrections required will be emailed to the investigator. Once corrections have been made, resubmit to the research office.
- In most cases, the Office for Research will submit the application to the funding body and will inform you of progress. This will be confirmed prior to submission.
Where an application form requires the name of the administering institution, insert Melbourne Health (not Royal Melbourne Hospital or VIDRL etc). In addition, if the application requires the contact information of the Research Administration Officer (RAO) or a Grants Manager the details are as follows:
Office for Research
Level 2 South West, 300 Grattan Street
The Royal Melbourne Hospital
Parkville VIC 3050
Ph: 03 9342 7950
Fax: 03 9342 8548
- Sponsors may contact the Office for Research or the Chief Investigator with results of grant rounds.
- Legally, funds are awarded to RMH and grants can only be formally accepted by RMH's Director of Research or Chief Executive.
- Contact the RAO if you have received advice directly from a sponsor so that the acceptance process can commence. In the case of unsuccessful applications, the Office for Research should be contacted so that the record can be updated.
The Office for Research will:
- note the details of the award;
- review the conditions of the funding agreement;
- assist with coordination of the approval of the contract if acceptable;
- liaise with you to open a Restricted Special Purpose Fund (Cost Centre) and review of the project budget.
- As part of the conditions of award, you may be required to submit progress, final and finance reports (acquittances). Take note of the report due dates to ensure that you submit in time.
- Progress and Final Reports to some schemes can be submitted directly to the sponsor, unless a signature is required from an authorised officer.
- In the case where sponsors require financial reports to be submitted at the same time, please contact the Senior Business Analyst two weeks prior to the due date.