May 2018 - New processes for Ethics and Governance Submissions
The latest news and information relating to Ethics, Governance and other Office for Research matters
A cap of 10 ethics submissions was introduced on Friday 8 June for the 27 June 2018 deadline due to a number of reasons including staffing resources required to facilitate the upcoming change over to the new ethics platform, ERM, and also due to reduced staffing levels at this time. By close of business Friday, all 10 allocations were exhausted.
Researchers have the option to either:
- call the Central Allocation System on (03) 9096 7395 to request their project be allocated to a different reviewing HREC; or
- wait to submit for the following meeting (deadline 1.00 pm Wednesday 25 July)
The Online Forms site will transition to a new system called ERM (Ethics Review Manager) in Victoria and Queensland. Online Forms will no longer be used for ethics and research governance applications. Use of ERM will start on 16 July 2018.
|29 June 2018|
Final date to create a new application form (HREA/SSA) using Online Forms (available until 5.00pm AEST)
If you have not started your application (HREA/SSA) via Online Forms by 5.00pm 29 June 2018, you will not be able to start a new application via ERM until 16 July 2018.
|9 July 2018|
Final date to submit via Online Forms (available until 5.00pm AEST) includes:
After 5.00 pm, you will no longer be able to submit via Online Forms
|16 July 2018||ERM starts! Use ERM to create and submit all applications and post-approval reports|
What does this mean for you?
- You will not have access to an ‘active’ application forms platform from 5.00pm on Monday 9 July until Monday 16 July. Meaning, you will not be able to submit an application (HREA/SSA) during this period.
- If you have submitted a Victorian or Queensland Online Forms application in the past, you will automatically have an ERM account on 16 July 2018. Your new ERM account will have the same log in details as your old Online Forms account. Contact the Infonetica Helpdesk if you have forgotten your log in details.
- The DHHS Victoria will provide support and training before, during and after the ERM roll-out and will provide information sessions for researchers, study coordinators, heads of departments (providing digital signature), sponsors, CROs etc.
- All jurisdictions that participate in National Mutual Acceptance (NMA) are committed to working cooperatively. DHHS is working with other state/territory Departments of Health to ensure that there is minimal disruption for NMA applications. For help and support for National Mutual Acceptance, please contact DHHS, Victoria: (t) 03 9096 7394 (e) email@example.com
Help and support
|Infonetica Helpdesk||02 9037 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|DHHS Victoria||03 9096 email@example.com|
Effective 27 June 2018 deadline, all research protocols will require:
- Peer review before submission to the Melbourne Health Human Research Ethics Committee (HREC), and evidence of this review must be submitted with the application using the Peer Review Proforma. Please refer to the Peer Review Process document
- Statistical review before submission to the Melbourne Health HREC, and evidence of this review must be submitted with the application using the Statistical Review Proforma. Please refer to the Statistical Review Process document.
Projects which have already had a rigorous independent review of the research protocol do not need to undergo additional peer or statistical review prior to submission. This applies to commercially sponsored research projects as well as a number of other exceptions – these are outlined in the Submission Process documents for the respective processes.