We diagnose and treat patients with symptoms and illnesses of the mind and brain, including complex neuropsychiatric and neurodegenerative disorders.
- We diagnose and treat people with complex mental health issues, neuropsychiatric, neurocognitive, neurodegenerative and neurological conditions
- We provide patients and their families with comprehensive assessment and management advice
- We accept referrals through a GP or other medical specialist
What we do
Neuropsychiatry is a clinical unit of the Royal Melbourne Hospital.
As a statewide specialist mental health service, we offer neuropsychiatric assessment and advice to psychiatric, neurological and other medical and mental health services.
We employ a multidisciplinary approach to provide patients and their families with comprehensive assessment and management advice.
Our team has a high level of expertise and knowledge across:
- Occupational therapy
- Speech pathology
- Social work
- Specialist mental health and general nursing
Who can use our service
We assess patients who have a mixture of psychiatric and/or neurological conditions that require specialised diagnosis, investigation and management.
- Differentiating severe mental illness from ‘organic disorders’
- Younger onset dementia, or rare or atypical dementias
- Movement disorders
- Complex or treatment-resistant major psychiatric illness
- Congenital neuropsychiatric disorders
Introduction to the Royal Melbourne Hospital's Neuropsychiatry Unit
|Neuropsychology Clinic||The RMH Parkville|
We accept referrals for this service
Call Triage on 1300 874 243 to discuss a new referral.
If your patient is currently seeing a clinician at one of our clinics and you would like to discuss treatment or care plans, contact the appropriate local mental health service directly and ask to speak to the key clinician, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
For out of hours support, call Triage. If your patient is presenting in an emergency situation, call 000 for an immediate response.
- Check the referral criteria on the RMH Neuropsychiatry website
- Complete our Neuropsychiatry referral form
- Email the referral form to NPReferrals@mh.org.au
HealthPathways Melbourne provides guidance on best practice assessment and management of common medical conditions, including when and where to refer patients.
Parkville Connect is a secure web-based portal providing GPs, specialists and other health professionals with information in the Parkville electronic medical record (EMR).
Links & documents
Level 2 West
300 Grattan St, Parkville, Victoria
Your donation goes towards research and clinical services to enhance the lives of patients, their families and carers living with younger onset dementia and other neurodegenerative diseases.