The 2019 season of the RMH Royal Park Campus, Historical Lantern Tours is now open.
We would like to thank all those who have supported these tours since our very first back in 2012. These people now have a greater understanding of the wonderful history of the Royal Park Campus.
About the tour
Join RMH history buff and story-teller-extraordinaire Jeff Whittington (pictured) from 7 - 9pm for a stroll through history.
Jeff will don his frock coat, vest, top hat, and fob chain, taking people on a tour of the grounds and heritage listed buildings and sharing fascinating stories from the past.
Tours feature history, many good stories and the unexpected.
Jeff is also assisted by other volunteers who hold a passion for the wonderful history of the Royal Park Campus.
Some nights our inmates appear along with our ‘Lady Superintendent’. Matron from 1869 will also appear, out of the dark, in her full uniform illuminated only by her handheld candle.
If you are looking for a night of excitement, these lantern tours are a must.
Do I need to arrive before the tour or at the time listed on my ticket?
Please arrive at least 15 minutes before your tour leaves (i.e. 15 minutes before the time printed on your ticket) and visit our main reception desk.
What do I need to bring?
All participants must wear closed-toe walking shoes. Entry may be refused if footwear is not appropriate. Please wear sensible clothing for weather.
Bring your ticket to confirm you have paid to come to the event.
|Lantern Tour||Adults||Children 16 and under|
|May to September 2019 |
Every second Friday
7pm to 9pm
|$20 plus booking fee||$10 plus booking fee||Book now|
|Special Friday 13th tour|
8pm - 10.30pm
|$30 plus booking fee||$10 plus booking fee||Book now|
|Special Halloween tour|
8pm - 10.30pm
|$30 plus booking fee||$10 plus booking fee|
Tours leave at 7pm sharp (8pm sharp for the special tours) so don't be late!
Here's a sample of the comments from Jeff's tours:
“Great fun! Very informative and humorous, with the right amount of history and spookiness.”
“Amazing and informative. Thanks for a great evening.”
"Just like to say how much I enjoyed the tour tonight. It was so much more than I’d expected. Your Historical Lantern Tour volunteers really brought early Melbourne to life for me and had me thinking about the challenges faced by many of my ancestors who came out to Australia in the 1840’s and 1850’s. Thanks again for an informative and fun night out."
"Simply brilliant! Fact, fiction and comedy combined with finesse. Thanks to all involved."
"Thank you for a fantastic tour and history lesson."
View Lantern Tour of Royal Park in a larger map
Meeting point is The Royal Melbourne Hospital - Royal Park Campus - 34-54 Poplar Road, Parkville 3052. Enter via gate 1 then proceed to, main reception of the Robert Campbell Wing - Building 17, opposite the main car park.
Parking is free for all those attending the tour.
- Unfortunately we will not wait for anyone who is running late, the tour will commence at 7pm sharp
- Children must be accompanied by an adult who shall be solely responsible for their care and conduct whilst on site
- Tours are never cancelled because of rain, just bring an umbrella
- Alcohol is not permitted on any tours. Visitors who are under the influence of alcohol will be asked to leave the site
- We're smoke free - no smoking is allowed on hospital grounds
- By booking a ticket and attending this tour you agree that you may recorded or photographed and you give full permission to be involved in media and promotional activities that may occur as a result. You agree that copyright will rest with the management of Melbourne Health or a third party and that there will be no charge for taking part in media / promotional activity