We provide assessment, information and advice to clients and their carers to support informed decision making regarding their individual care needs.

Key points

  • Linking people to community services
  • Providing support and access to people requiring transition care programs or residential aged care
Patients need a referral from their GP or healthcare provider. Access referral information

What we do

Our Aged Care Assessment Service supports people in their own homes and communities by linking them to health services which promote wellness and restoration of function.

We can also refer people to community services which will support their independence and safety.

The Aged Care Assessment Service has Commonwealth Government delegation responsibility to assess eligibility for Public Residential Aged Care Services, Transition Care Program, Home Care Packages, and Short Term Restorative care.

Who can use our service

The Aged Care Assessment Service assesses older people, generally over the age of 65 years old and Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples over the age of 50 years old.

The Aged Care Assessment Service provides a service to the Local Government Areas of Hume, Moreland, Moonee Valley and Melbourne. All referrals for an Aged Care Assessment Service are managed through My Aged Care.

Specialised services

Transition Care Program services are accessed through the Aged Care Assessment Service.

To find services or for more information, health professionals and patients are advised to contact the Aged Care Assessment Service in their local area, or visit My Aged Care.

For patients
For health professionals

What to bring

Every time you come

Every time you come in for a test, day procedure, surgery or treatment, you should bring:

  • Medicare card
  • Health Care card (if you have one)
  • Concession card (if you have one)
  • Adverse drug alert card (if you have one)
  • Medications you are currently taking, including any that you have bought without a prescription
  • X-ray films, scans, ultrasounds or any other test results you have which are related to your procedure
  • Private health insurance card (if you want to use it)
  • Aids (glasses, hearing aid, walking frame)

For a clinic appointment

If you come for a clinic appointment, you should also bring:

  • Your appointment letter
  • Any special items listed on your letter
  • Your appointment book (if relevant)
  • TAC or WorkCover claim number

Links & documents

Head of service
Josie Barbagallo
Manager, Aged Care Assessment Services - North West ACAS & Hume RAS
Contact us
Aged Care Assessment Service
(03) 8387 2129
ACAS Intake & Response
(03) 8387 2193
(03) 9388 1752
The RMH Royal Park
Level 1 Building 1
34-54 Poplar Rd, Parkville, Victoria
Related pages
Patient using Telehealth


Start your Telehealth video call at your appointment time by joining this waiting room.

Last updated 02 March 2023