We provide treatment, care and support for older patients following a trauma.
- Comprehensive geriatric assessment and management to address the medical and discharge planning needs of this vulnerable population
- We work closely together with the Trauma team to provide best care for older people who experience trauma
What we do
The Trauma in Older Persons Service (TOPS) team review and provide care for most patients aged 65 years or older admitted to the Trauma unit.
Some of the issues we commonly address in older people who experience trauma include:
- Assessment of baseline past medical history, medications and social history
- Prevention and management of medical issues
- Screening and management of geriatric syndromes in hospital such as delirium, falls and functional decline and nutritional issues
- Falls assessment and management
- Bone health assessment and management
- Assessment and management of common issues experienced in hospital – for example, analgesia, constipation
- Early discharge planning together with multidisciplinary team
TOPS is led by a geriatrician together with a multidisciplinary team. We apply principles of comprehensive geriatric assessment and management. We lead medical care, perioperative care and discharge planning.
Who can use our service
We typically review and care for patients admitted to the Trauma unit who are aged 65 years or older. Older people with geriatric syndromes with complex healthcare and discharge planning needs are most likely to benefit from TOPS input.
We have a hybrid structure; older patients who experience trauma may be cared for by the Trauma unit with TOPS input or come under the primary care of the TOPS team. The Trauma and TOPS teams work very closely together to ensure the surgical and medical needs of this high-risk group are met to a high standard.
Direct Access Unit
We accept GP and specialist referrals:
- Use the RMH Community Services Referral Form, the RMH GP Referral Form or a template from your own system
- Complete and fax your referral to Direct Access Unit on (03) 8387 2217
DAU welcomes phone enquiries. Contact us on (03) 8387 2333 to discuss potential or existing referrals.
Referrals should include:
- Relevant clinical history
- Reason for referral
- Patient details including address, date of birth and contact phone numbers
- Your details and provider number
- Name of the consultant (for Medicare clinics)
- Investigation reports related to the referral
Referrals are triaged based on priority. In an emergency, patients can go to the Emergency & Trauma Service at any time.
For advice, urgent referrals and out of hours support, call The RMH Switchboard on (03) 9342 7000 to page our registrar on call.
HealthPathways Melbourne provides guidance on best practice assessment and management of common medical conditions, including when and where to refer patients.
Parkville Connect is a secure web-based portal providing GPs, specialists and other health professionals with information in the Parkville electronic medical record (EMR).
What to bring
Every time you come
Every time you come in for a test, day procedure, surgery or treatment, you should bring:
- Medicare card
- Health Care card (if you have one)
- Concession card (if you have one)
- Adverse drug alert card (if you have one)
- Medications you are currently taking, including any that you have bought without a prescription
- X-ray films, scans, ultrasounds or any other test results you have which are related to your procedure
- Private health insurance card (if you want to use it)
- Aids (glasses, hearing aid, walking frame)
For a clinic appointment
If you come for a clinic appointment, you should also bring:
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- Your appointment book (if relevant)
- TAC or WorkCover claim number
Interpreters & cultural support
We provide qualified, professional interpreters to help you communicate with us at any time during your stay and at your clinic appointments.
- Μάθετε περισότερα γιά διερμηνείς & υποστήριξη κουλτούρας
- Scopri di più sugli interpreti e sul supporto culturale
- Tercümanlar ve kültürel destek hakkında daha fazla bilgi edinmek için
- Tìm hiểu thêm về thông dịch viên và hỗ trợ văn hóa
- لمزيدٍ من المعلومات عن خدمة الترجمة الشفهية والخدمات الثقافية
Robert Campbell Wing (Building 17)
34-54 Poplar Rd, Parkville, Victoria