The Royal Melbourne Hospital (RMH) Intensive Care Unit (ICU) provides specialised critical care to patients who are acutely unwell or seriously injured.
- Our ICU is one of the biggest and busiest ICUs in Australia
- We have 42 intensive care beds
- We care for almost 3,000 patients every year
What we do
With its 42 bed capacity, the RMH ICU is one of the biggest and busiest ICUs in Australia. We care for almost 3,000 patients each year. We provide intensive care services for patients at the Royal Melbourne Hospital as well as the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre and the Royal Women’s Hospital as well as critically unwell patients from rural, regional Victoria and interstate.
Our team includes highly skilled intensive care doctors, nurses, allied health, pharmacy, clerical, clinical assistants, cleaners and personal assistant staff. The entire multidisciplinary team works closely with all specialised medical and surgical units across the Parkville Precinct.
Find out more about our team.
As a tertiary referral hospital, we also receive patients from other hospitals across Victoria and interstate.
We provide specialised intensive care treatment to people after they have suffered major trauma or had major surgery including cardiac surgery, and neurosurgery.
We also care for people with complex respiratory problems, sepsis, cancer, kidney failure, infectious diseases, and multi-organ failure.
Find out more about our services.
We care for patients from all social and cultural backgrounds. Our team is trained to support patients and families through their journey in ICU. Learn more about:
We provide tertiary intensive care services for adult patients throughout Victoria and interstate, for people who have experienced major trauma, cardiac surgery and neurosurgery.
We provide our intensive care services for patients at the Royal Melbourne Hospital (RMH), Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre and The Women’s.
We also provide a 24 hour, 7 day a week critical care outreach service:
- Our team of intensive care doctors and nurses are available to review and assist with the management of unwell patients throughout the hospital
- The Medical Emergency Team (MET) and Code Blue response teams provide immediate intensive care-level treatment to patients who are deteriorating regardless of location
- Patients who have been in ICU are reviewed by the ICU CNCs following their discharge to ensure a safe transition to the ward
Find out more about the Intensive Care Unit.
Life saving specialised services
The RMH ICU is a world leader in clinical research. We have a dedicated and knowledgeable team of ICU staff who are committed in developing innovative treatment options for our patients.
Find out more about our research.