We are one of Victoria's largest providers of cancer care and treatment, caring for more than 37,000 patients each year.
- The RMH and Peter Mac work together to provide one integrated clinical haematology service for patients
- We bring together world-class clinical and laboratory research expertise to ensure patients with blood disorders receive exceptional care
- Clinic patients may be seen at the RMH or Peter Mac, or both, depending on their needs
- We treat patients in wards at both the RMH and Peter Mac, depending on their needs
What we do
The Royal Melbourne Hospital (RMH) and Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre work together to provide an integrated clinical haematology service for people with blood cancer and blood disorders.
We are a specialised service providing the highest quality care to our patients. Our multidisciplinary haematology team brings together world-class clinical and laboratory research expertise to ensure patients with blood disorders receive exceptional care. With a commitment to excellence, education and research we are shaping local and international practices in haematology, developing the next generation of expert clinicians and advancing patient care for the future.
At the RMH, our team focuses on:
- Allogeneic bone marrow transplantation - we are one of only two transplantation units in Victoria
- Acute leukaemia (inpatient care)
- Acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL)
- Non-malignant haematology, such as iron deficiency, thrombosis/haemostasis, anaemia, haemoglobinopathies such as thalassaemia and sickle cell disease and rare haematologic disorders
At Peter Mac, our team focuses on:
- Aggressive lymphoma
- Acute leukaemia and myelodysplasia (outpatient care)
- Long-term follow-up and survivorship
- Myeloma and autologous stem cell transplantation
- Myeloproliferative neoplasms
- Low-grade lymphoma, chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) and related diseases
Treatment & care
Ward 7B at the RMH cares for patients who need or have:
- Allogeneic bone marrow transplantation
- Acute leukaemia and myelodysplasia
- Bone marrow failure syndromes
- Non-malignant disorders
Ward 5A at Peter Mac cares for patients who need/have:
- Autologous transplantation and myeloma or plasma cell disorders
- Lymphomas, chronic leukaemias and myeloproliferative disorders
Ward 7 West
Ward 7 West at the RMH is a palliative care ward. We care for over 1,400 patients and their families every year.
Our wards are staffed with specialist medical, nursing and allied health staff to provide a comprehensive multidisciplinary service to our patients.
Peter Mac also has a palliative care ward.
We have specialist clinics located at both the RMH and Peter Mac for patients with a blood cancer, suspected blood cancer, and other blood disorders.
Patients will be seen at either location depending on their diagnosis, medical needs or treatment plan. Appointment location details are outlined on patient letters.
All day therapy services and treatments for patients with blood cancer and blood disorders are located at Peter Mac Day Therapy.
|Bone Marrow Transplant Clinic||The RMH Parkville||Medicare Telehealth|
|Bone Marrow Transplant Late Effects Clinic||The RMH Parkville||Medicare Telehealth|
|Haematology Thrombosis Clinic||The RMH Parkville||Medicare|
|Iron Clinic||The RMH Parkville||Medicare|
|Non-Malignant Haematology Clinic Level 5 West||The RMH Parkville||Medicare|
|Non-Malignant Haematology Clinic Level 1 South||The RMH Parkville||Medicare|
|Non-Malignant Haematology Clinic Level 1 West||The RMH Parkville||Medicare|
|Subcutaneous Immunoglobulin Haematology Clinic||The RMH Parkville|
Referrals to Peter Mac
Referrals for this service are managed by Peter Mac. Go to the Peter Mac Referrals page for referral guidelines and pathway information.
Appointments are made for patients in the best location for their optimal care. In some instances, this could mean a combination of visits to both hospitals.
Referred patients are allocated a unique patient record number that enables them to be identified and move between the two hospitals. Their medical history and treatment plan are seamlessly accessible by all members of our service caring for each patient.
HealthPathways Melbourne provides guidance on best practice assessment and management of common medical conditions, including when and where to refer patients.
Parkville Connect is a secure web-based portal providing GPs, specialists and other health professionals with information in the Parkville electronic medical record (EMR).
Links & documents
Need to change or cancel your appointment?
Do one of the following:
- Access Health Hub to change the appointment yourself
- Complete our online form and we'll change it for you
- Call Specialist Clinics (Outpatients) on (03) 9342 7393 and we'll help you over the phone
What to bring
Every time you come
Every time you come in for a test, day procedure, surgery or treatment, you should bring:
- Medicare card
- Health Care card (if you have one)
- Concession card (if you have one)
- Adverse drug alert card (if you have one)
- Medications you are currently taking, including any that you have bought without a prescription
- X-ray films, scans, ultrasounds or any other test results you have which are related to your procedure
- Private health insurance card (if you want to use it)
- Aids (glasses, hearing aid, walking frame)
For a clinic appointment
If you come for a clinic appointment, you should also bring:
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- Your appointment book
- TAC or WorkCover claim number
For a day procedure
If you come for a day procedure, you should also bring:
- A responsible adult carer to stay with you to hear instructions, help you and take you home
- Dressing gown and slippers
For an overnight or longer stay
If you come for an overnight (or longer stay), you should also bring:
- A dressing gown and slippers, or comfortable day clothes and shoes
- Your toiletries
- Your iPad or tablet and phone, provided you are happy to take responsibility for them
Interpreters & cultural support
We provide qualified, professional interpreters to help you communicate with us at any time during your stay and at your clinic appointments.
- Μάθετε περισότερα γιά διερμηνείς & υποστήριξη κουλτούρας
- Scopri di più sugli interpreti e sul supporto culturale
- Tercümanlar ve kültürel destek hakkında daha fazla bilgi edinmek için
- Tìm hiểu thêm về thông dịch viên và hỗ trợ văn hóa
- لمزيدٍ من المعلومات عن خدمة الترجمة الشفهية والخدمات الثقافية
Links & documents
305 Grattan St, Melbourne, Victoria
Level 7 B Building
300 Grattan St, Parkville, Victoria
Level 7 West
300 Grattan St, Parkville, Victoria