We are a specialist service that manages the follow-up care of some patients with uncomplicated stable spine fractures after they are discharged from hospital.
- We accept referrals from healthcare providers across Victoria
- All referrals must be verbally discussed with the orthopaedic registrar on call before being sent in
What we do
We manage the follow-up care of some patients with uncomplicated stable spine fractures after they are discharged from hospital.
Who can use our service
Patients may be referred to our clinic from the wards at the Royal Melbourne Hospital (RMH), or from other hospitals in Melbourne and across the state.
What to expect from our service
If you are referred to the Spine Virtual Fracture Clinic (SVFC), an orthopaedic surgeon will review your imaging, such as x-rays and CT scans, to determine what treatment is needed.
Then an advanced practice physiotherapist will contact you by phone to explain the treatment plan. This usually includes advice about wearing a supportive collar or brace, advice about safe movements and exercise, and a plan for a new x-ray to monitor your healing.
If your injury is more complex, you may be asked to come to the clinic in person.
Spine Virtual Fracture Clinic referrals
We accept GP and specialist referrals:
- Call the RMH Switchboard on (03) 9342 7000 and ask for the ‘orthopaedic registrar on call’ to discuss your referral
- Use The RMH Spine Virtual Fracture Clinic Referral Form or a template from your own system
- Complete and fax your referral to Specialist Clinics (Outpatients) on (03) 9342 4234, or email to email@example.com
To avoid your referral being sent back, ensure all fields are complete, including patient contact information.
For advice, urgent referrals and out of hours support, call The RMH Switchboard on (03) 9342 7000 to page our orthopaedic registrar on call.
HealthPathways Melbourne provides guidance on best practice assessment and management of common medical conditions, including when and where to refer patients.
Parkville Connect is a secure web-based portal providing GPs, specialists and other health professionals with information in the Parkville electronic medical record (EMR).
Links & documents
Interpreters & cultural support
We provide qualified, professional interpreters to help you communicate with us at any time during your stay and at your clinic appointments.
- Μάθετε περισότερα γιά διερμηνείς & υποστήριξη κουλτούρας
- Scopri di più sugli interpreti e sul supporto culturale
- Tercümanlar ve kültürel destek hakkında daha fazla bilgi edinmek için
- Tìm hiểu thêm về thông dịch viên và hỗ trợ văn hóa
- لمزيدٍ من المعلومات عن خدمة الترجمة الشفهية والخدمات الثقافية