We provide comprehensive assessment, treatment and ongoing care of spinal disorders such as back pain, neck pain and sciatica.
- Treatment, assessment and ongoing assistance for people with spinal disorders
- Collaboration between multiple departments including Rheumatology, Neurosurgery, Orthopaedics and Pain Management
- Linked with community sites within Merri Health
What we do
We are a specialist service formed by collaboration between Rheumatology, Neurosurgery, Orthopaedic Surgery and Pain Management at the Royal Melbourne Hospital. The service is linked with community sites in Merri Health.
We offer a comprehensive assessment and management advice to people with neck and back pains and any associated symptoms, such as radiculopathy. We can assist with persistent spinal pain, cervical and lumbar radiculopathy, and neurogenic claudication symptoms from spinal stenosis.
We can organise further investigations, analgesic review (including injection therapies) and physiotherapy services, as well as access to surgical, rheumatology and pain management services.
Our clinics are staffed by a rheumatologist and advanced practice physiotherapists, the same professionals that you may see in the Neurosurgery, Orthopaedic Surgery or Rheumatology clinics at the RMH. All of these staff members have extensive experience in the assessment and treatment of back and neck problems.
Who can use our service
Exclusions to the service are suspicion of ‘red flag’ pathologies (tumours, infection, fracture, and inflammatory disease), spinal deformity and paediatric cases.
The BAC is not a multidisciplinary service for complex persistent pain syndromes. These referrals should be directed to Pain Management.
|Back Assessment Clinic Coburg||The RMH at Merri Health Coburg|
|Back Assessment Clinic||The RMH Royal Park|
We accept GP and specialist referrals:
- Use The RMH Spinal Referral Form or a template from your own system
- Complete and fax your referral to Specialist Clinics (Outpatients) on (03) 9342 4234
You can also import a template into your practice's referral system:
As outlined by the Department of Health, referral requests should include:
- Patient demographic information
- Referrer demographic information
- Reason for referral
- Presenting problem
- Service(s) requested
- Required referral information specified by statewide or local referral criteria
- Current patient management
- Impact of the problem on the patient
- Name of the consultant and provider number (for Medicare clinics)
- Investigation reports related to the referral
Referrals are triaged based on priority. In an emergency, patients can go to the Emergency & Trauma Service at any time.
For advice, urgent referrals and out of hours support, call The RMH Switchboard on (03) 9342 7000 to page our registrar on call.
Referrals must include a general health summary with medication list and recent relevant imaging reports in full. Referrals without these items will be rejected.
HealthPathways Melbourne provides guidance on best practice assessment and management of common medical conditions, including when and where to refer patients.
Parkville Connect is a secure web-based portal providing GPs, specialists and other health professionals with information in the Parkville electronic medical record (EMR).
Links & documents
For all new appointments, contact the Direct Access Unit on (03) 8387 2333
To cancel or reschedule a booked appointment, contact the Clinical Centre on (03) 8387 2194
What to bring
Every time you come
Every time you come in for a test, day procedure, surgery or treatment, you should bring:
- Medicare card
- Health Care card (if you have one)
- Concession card (if you have one)
- Adverse drug alert card (if you have one)
- Medications you are currently taking, including any that you have bought without a prescription
- X-ray films, scans, ultrasounds or any other test results you have which are related to your procedure
- Private health insurance card (if you want to use it)
- Aids (glasses, hearing aid, walking frame)
For a clinic appointment
If you come for a clinic appointment, you should also bring:
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- Your appointment book
- TAC or WorkCover claim number
Interpreters & cultural support
We provide qualified, professional interpreters to help you communicate with us at any time during your stay and at your clinic appointments.
- Μάθετε περισότερα γιά διερμηνείς & υποστήριξη κουλτούρας
- Scopri di più sugli interpreti e sul supporto culturale
- Tercümanlar ve kültürel destek hakkında daha fazla bilgi edinmek için
- Tìm hiểu thêm về thông dịch viên và hỗ trợ văn hóa
- لمزيدٍ من المعلومات عن خدمة الترجمة الشفهية والخدمات الثقافية
34-54 Poplar Rd, Parkville, Victoria
93 Bell St, Coburg, Victoria
Start your Telehealth video call at your appointment time by joining this waiting room.