We work with patients to deliver the most suitable treatment for an injury or condition to gain as much movement and physical independence as possible.
- Physiotherapy staff work across all clinical services at the RMH
- We provide assessment, treatment and education for patients
- Patients may be provided with an opportunity to be involved in one of our research or quality projects
- We accept internal referrals and some eligible external referrals - see our referrals criteria for information
What we do
Our Physiotherapy and Exercise Physiology service provides assessment, treatment and education for patients with various conditions, including cardiorespiratory, musculoskeletal and neurological disorders.
Treatment techniques may include:
- Exercise programs targeting strength, co-ordination, balance and movement control to improve function in daily activities
- Airway clearance techniques and breathing exercises
- Assistance with use of splints and mobility aids
- Education for patients and carers
Who can use our service
We care for:
- Inpatients at both the RMH Parkville and the RMH Royal Park
- Outpatients who have been referred from a clinical service within the RMH
- People in the community under specialised programs such as the Hospital Admission Risk Program (HARP) and RMH@Home
- People in the community who are referred to the Community Therapy Service
Advanced practice physiotherapy
Advanced practice physiotherapists (APPs) are experienced senior physiotherapists with postgraduate qualifications.
In specialist clinics (outpatients), our APPs offer patients with musculoskeletal conditions timely access to expert assessment and management. Credentialed staff can help patients get faster access to investigations and surgical, rheumatological and physiotherapy services.
Learn more about Advanced Practice Physiotherapy.
|The RMH Parkville
|Community Therapy Clinic
|The RMH Royal Park
|Back Assessment Clinic at Merri Health Coburg
|The RMH at Merri Health Coburg
|Back Assessment Clinic at the RMH Royal Park
|The RMH Royal Park
|Advanced Practice Physiotherapy Clinics
|The RMH Parkville
We accept internal referrals and limited external referrals
We accept the following referrals:
- Internal referrals – Inpatients and outpatients referred from other services within the RMH
- External referrals – Outpatients referred for community accessible outpatient services within the Community Therapy Service at the RMH Royal Park
The RMH Parkville physiotherapy service does not accept outpatient referrals from GPs or external specialists.
How to refer your patient
We accept external outpatient referrals to the RMH Royal Park:
- Use the RMH Community Services Referral Form, the RMH GP Referral Form or a template from your own system
- Complete and fax your referral to Direct Access Unit (DAU) on (03) 8387 2217
DAU welcomes phone enquiries. Contact us on (03) 8387 2333 to discuss potential or existing referrals.
What to include in your referral
Referrals should include:
- Patient details including address, date of birth and contact phone numbers
- Reason for referral
- Relevant clinical history
- List of current medications
- Any risks to clients or staff
- Name of consultant (for Medicare clinics)
- Your details and provider number
- TAC or WorkCover claim details, if applicable
Urgent and after-hours support
Referrals are triaged based on priority. In an emergency, patients can go to the Emergency & Trauma Service at any time.
For advice, urgent referrals and out of hours support, call The RMH Switchboard on (03) 9342 7000 to page our registrar on call.
HealthPathways Melbourne provides guidance on best practice assessment and management of common medical conditions, including when and where to refer patients.
Parkville Connect is a secure web-based portal providing GPs, specialists and other health professionals with information in the Parkville electronic medical record (EMR).
Contact us to change or cancel your appointment.
What to bring
Every time you come
Every time you come in for a test, day procedure, surgery or treatment, you should bring:
- Medicare card
- Health Care card (if you have one)
- Concession card (if you have one)
- Adverse drug alert card (if you have one)
- Medications you are currently taking, including any that you have bought without a prescription
- X-ray films, scans, ultrasounds or any other test results you have which are related to your procedure
- Private health insurance card (if you want to use it)
- Aids (glasses, hearing aid, walking frame)
For a clinic appointment
If you come for a clinic appointment, you should also bring:
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- Your appointment book (if relevant)
- TAC or WorkCover claim number
Interpreters & cultural support
We provide qualified, professional interpreters to help you communicate with us at any time during your stay and at your clinic appointments.
- Μάθετε περισότερα γιά διερμηνείς & υποστήριξη κουλτούρας
- Scopri di più sugli interpreti e sul supporto culturale
- Tercümanlar ve kültürel destek hakkında daha fazla bilgi edinmek için
- Tìm hiểu thêm về thông dịch viên và hỗ trợ văn hóa
- لمزيدٍ من المعلومات عن خدمة الترجمة الشفهية والخدمات الثقافية
The physiotherapy department at the RMH offers opportunities for a rewarding career.
Our grade one physiotherapy staff work across a range of clinical areas such as trauma, cardiac, neuroscience and oncology.