We provide care, treatment and support for people with respiratory and sleeping disorders.
- We run diagnostic procedures and sleep pattern monitoring
- We provide overnight sleep monitoring
- We can help manage general and specialised lung disorders
- We can help people to quit smoking
What we do
Our Respiratory & Sleep Disorders Medicine service provides diagnostic procedures, runs clinics and monitors sleeping patterns for elective and emergency patients.
We care for people who are in hospital, have been to hospital or need to come to hospital for:
- Respiratory function testing – checking how well your lungs work
- Bronchoscopy – looking into your lungs with a scope
- Overnight sleep monitoring (home and hospital-based) - to help resolve breathing problems
- Sleep disorders clinics
- General respiratory problems
- Lung cancer
- High blood pressure in the lungs
- Help to quit smoking
|CPAP Review Clinic||The RMH Parkville||Medicare|
|Daytime Sleep Study Clinic||The RMH Parkville||Medicare|
|Lung Medical Oncology Clinic||The RMH Parkville||Medicare|
|Oxygen Review Clinic||The RMH Parkville||Medicare|
|Pre-Bronchoscopy Assessment Clinic||The RMH Parkville||Medicare|
|Respiratory Clinic||The RMH Parkville|
|Respiratory Advanced Lung Clinic||The RMH Parkville||Medicare|
|Respiratory Interstitial Lung Disease Clinic||The RMH Parkville||Medicare|
|Respiratory Lab Clinic||The RMH Parkville||Medicare|
|Respiratory Oncology Clinic||The RMH Parkville|
|Respiratory Nodule Clinic||The RMH Parkville||Medicare|
|Respiratory Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension Clinic||The RMH Parkville||Medicare|
|Respiratory Rapid Access Clinic||The RMH Parkville||Medicare|
|Sleep Disorders Clinic||The RMH Parkville||Medicare|
|Sleep Ear Nose & Throat Clinic||The RMH Parkville||Medicare|
We accept GP and specialist referrals:
- Use The RMH GP Referral Form or a template from your own system
- Complete and fax your referral to Specialist Clinics (Outpatients) on (03) 9342 4234
We do not accept email referrals.
What to include in your referral
As outlined by the Department of Health, referral requests should include:
- Patient demographic information
- Referrer demographic information
- Reason for referral
- Presenting problem
- Service(s) requested
- Required referral information specified by statewide or local referral criteria
- Current patient management
- Impact of the problem on the patient
- Name of the consultant and provider number (for Medicare clinics)
- Investigation reports related to the referral
Urgent and after-hours support
Referrals are triaged based on priority. In an emergency, patients can go to the Emergency & Trauma Service at any time.
For advice, urgent referrals and out of hours support, call The RMH Switchboard on (03) 9342 7000 to page our registrar on call.
Patients suspected of a sleep disorder or with significant comorbid conditions should be referred to our service to have an initial consultation with a sleep physician.
HealthPathways Melbourne provides guidance on best practice assessment and management of common medical conditions, including when and where to refer patients.
Parkville Connect is a secure web-based portal providing GPs, specialists and other health professionals with information in the Parkville electronic medical record (EMR).
Respiratory lab and tests
Find out more about the respiratory lab and tests we perform.
Respiratory and Sleep Disorders Medicine has a comprehensive research program, which includes:
- Industry-sponsored clinical trials of drugs for the management of asthma, COPD and lung cancer.
- Molecular targets involved in the pathogenesis of COPD. This is a collaboration with A/Professor Gary Anderson from the Cooperative Research Centre for Chronic Inflammatory Diseases, Prof Graham Brown and Dr James Black from the Centre for Clinical Research Excellence in Infectious Diseases, and Dr Caroline Brand, Department Clinical Epidemiology, RMH. This project has involved establishing the Melbourne COPD cohort.
- Investigation of exercise-induced asthma in elite athletes.
- Self-management in acute severe asthma - collaboration with School of Physiotherapy, La Trobe University.
Our current clinical trials include:
- Asthma clinical trials
- COPD and breathlessness clinical trials
- Influenza clinical trials
- Lung cancer clinical trials
Find out more about clinical trials at the RMH.
What to bring
Every time you come
Every time you come in for a test, day procedure, surgery or treatment, you should bring:
- Medicare card
- Health Care card (if you have one)
- Concession card (if you have one)
- Adverse drug alert card (if you have one)
- Medications you are currently taking, including any that you have bought without a prescription
- X-ray films, scans, ultrasounds or any other test results you have which are related to your procedure
- Private health insurance card (if you want to use it)
- Aids (glasses, hearing aid, walking frame)
For a clinic appointment
If you come for a clinic appointment, you should also bring:
- Your appointment letter
- Your CPAP equipment
- Any special items listed on your letter
- Your appointment book
- TAC or WorkCover claim number
For a sleep study
If you come in for a sleep study, you should also bring:
- Your appointment letter
- Comfortable sleepwear, preferably something loose with buttons in the front
- Personal hygiene items, such as shampoo, shaving cream, shaver, toothpaste and deodorant
- Any medications you need to take and a list of all current medications
- Your own pillow, if you want think it will help you sleep better
- Something to do, such as a book, magazine or iPad/tablet
- Someone to interpret for you, if necessary
- Any snacks you may need, as food is not provided
- Your CPAP equipment (if using)
- Your MAS device (if using)
Interpreters & cultural support
We provide qualified, professional interpreters to help you communicate with us at any time during your stay and at your clinic appointments.
- Μάθετε περισότερα γιά διερμηνείς & υποστήριξη κουλτούρας
- Scopri di più sugli interpreti e sul supporto culturale
- Tercümanlar ve kültürel destek hakkında daha fazla bilgi edinmek için
- Tìm hiểu thêm về thông dịch viên và hỗ trợ văn hóa
- لمزيدٍ من المعلومات عن خدمة الترجمة الشفهية والخدمات الثقافية
Start your Telehealth video call at your appointment time by joining this waiting room.