The Transit Lounge welcomes patients waiting for discharge from hospital, a day procedure or their specialist clinic appointment.
What is the Transit Lounge?
The Transit Lounge is an area where patients:
- Can comfortably wait before attending their specialist clinic appointment
- Can wait before being discharged from the hospital
- From Emergency and Specialist Clinics (Outpatients) who have been admitted by a medical team can wait for a ward bed to become available. These patients can have therapies started by our dedicated team of skilled nurses and support staff.
The Transit Lounge is staffed by a dedicated team of skilled nurses and support staff that includes:
- Registered nurse
- Enrolled nurse
- Clinical assistant
The open plan area is fully equipped with:
- 7 trolleys with individual TV viewing, oxygen and suction
- 9 recliners with TV viewing
- Wheelchair spaces
- Seating for patients and relatives
- Isolation room
- Consultation room
- Tea and coffee facilities
- 3 accessible toilets
- Bariatric toilet and shower
- Lunch available for patients from wards with lengthy waits for departure
We accommodate patients ready for discharge but who are awaiting final wound dressings, allied health reviews, delivery of test results, or supply, education and administration of medications.
Clinical reviews are conducted in the Transit Lounge and intravenous medication can be administered up until 4pm.
Patients being discharged from the RMH commonly come to the Transit Lounge to wait for:
- Discharge medications to be dispensed
- Last doses of IV medications to be given
- Family or other transport means to arrive
The Transit Lounge has a dedicated pharmacist who will liaise with your ward pharmacist and dispense any medication you may need after your hospital stay.
Our pharmacist will also give you comprehensive information about any new medications you may have to take, and answer any questions you may have.
During busier periods, it can take up to one hour to receive your discharge medications.
Pickup and drop-off parking
You should call the Transit Lounge to find out the easiest way to collect patients.
Assistance getting to and from the hospital
If you require assistance with transport to or from your specialist clinic appointment, Transit Lounge staff can help you in several ways, including:
- Assessing your eligibility to use Non-Emergency Patient Transport (NEPT) to attend appointments
- Booking your NEPT for you once eligibility criteria are established
- Providing suggestions on alternative transport options
Contact the Transit Lounge at least one week before your appointment so we can assess your application to use the NEPT service.