Construction of the Metro Tunnel may cause some delays for you coming to, or leaving the hospital.
Remember to plan ahead and allow plenty of extra travel time to get to the hospital, as well as following the signage and traffic controllers in the area.
While the Parkville Station entrances around the Royal Melbourne Hospital are being built, there are long-term changes to access and parking:
- From March 2021, the Elizabeth Street and Royal Parade northbound service lane (between the Haymarket intersection and Story Street is partially) closed to construct the future Parkville Station entrances
- Grattan Street is partially closed between Flemington Road and Elizabeth Street and Royal Parade, from February 2020
- Grattan Street eastbound is closed to public vehicles.
- There will be no access to Grattan street from Royal Parade or Elizabeth Street
- Drop-off and pickup zones will be maintained on Grattan Street outside the main hospital entrance and Emergency Department
- Access to hospitals, hospital car park, and ambulances (will be maintained) at all times
- There are various pedestrian detours throughout the area with signage to help you get to where you want to be
Find out more at the Metro Tunnel: Parkville Station.
Planning your journey
Call or visit Public Transport Victoria to find out more about public transport (metropolitan and regional train, tram, bus and coach services and bookings).
Use Public Transport Victoria's journey planner to help you get to the RMH.
Links & documents
We have an exciting future ahead at the RMH, with works underway to grow and improve our facilities so that we can continue to care for our community when it matters most.