Construction of the Metro Tunnel may cause some delays for you coming to or leaving the hospital.
Are you heading to the RMH Parkville?
Metro Tunnel Road Works may impact your journey into the hospital.
Please plan ahead during this time to avoid delays or missed appointments. Follow the signage and traffic controllers in the area.
Current and upcoming works
Pedestrian and bicycle access
The footpath along the RMH (north) side of Grattan Street has temporary closures in place.
From 30 January 2024, access to both the hospital main entrance and the Emergency Department will be via a mid-block pedestrian crossing from the Peter MacCallum (south) side of Grattan Street. There will be signage in place to help you navigate.
Cyclists can access Grattan Street from Elizabeth Street and Royal Parade.
Vehicle access and traffic flow
- There will be changes to the traffic flow in Royal Parade and Elizabeth Street – please follow signage
- There is currently no access to Grattan Street from Flemington Road
- Left turn from Elizabeth Street to Grattan Street has been reinstated
The RMH Parkville car park will remain open and accessible during this time.
Pick-up and drop-off parking on Grattan Street
Due to ongoing Metro Tunnel works, drop-off and pick-up parking outside the hospital's main entrance, including the emergency department area, has moved:
- A limited taxi rank is available on the corner of Flemington and Grattan streets (next to the Women’s)
- A small number of spaces are available for pick-up and drop-off opposite the RMH, outside Peter Mac
- There is free 30-minute patient pick-up and drop-off inside the RMH Parkville car park
During this time, patients, consumers and visitors can be assured that:
- Access to hospitals, hospital car park, and ambulances will be maintained at all times
- There are various pedestrian detours throughout the area with signage to help you get to where you want to be
Please look out for Metro Tunnel customer service officers who are available to assist if needed.
Links & documents
We have an exciting future ahead at the RMH, with works underway to grow and improve our facilities so that we can continue to care for our community when it matters most.