We provide diagnosis and treatment for people who have experienced a stroke and conduct research to help improve the care and treatment of stroke patients in future.
- The RMH has produced world-renowned clinical trials in endovascular clot retrieval and stroke thrombolysis
- Our centre includes the Mobile Stroke Unit, Australia’s first CT-equipped stroke treatment ambulance
What we do
Our Comprehensive Stroke Care Centre provides rapid diagnosis and treatment for people with stroke.
We provide pre-hospital, inpatient and outpatient services including:
- 31 bed stroke and neurology inpatient ward with telemetry monitoring
- Mobile Stroke Unit - Australia’s first CT-equipped stroke treatment ambulance
- Acute stroke thrombolysis
- Multimodal CT and MRI imaging
- Endovascular clot retrieval – designated statewide stroke neurointerventional centre
- Neurosurgical referral service
- Stroke rehabilitation services
- Stroke followup and TIA rapid access clinics
|Stroke Follow Up Clinic||The RMH Parkville|
|Trans Ischaemic Attack (TIA) Clinic||The RMH Parkville|
|Trans Ischaemic Attack (TIA) Rapid Access Clinic||The RMH Parkville||Medicare|
We accept GP and specialist referrals:
- Use The RMH GP Referral Form or a template from your own system
- Complete and fax your referral to Specialist Clinics (Outpatients) on (03) 9342 4234
We do not accept email referrals.
What to include in your referral
As outlined by the Department of Health, referral requests should include:
- Patient demographic information
- Referrer demographic information
- Reason for referral
- Presenting problem
- Service(s) requested
- Required referral information specified by statewide or local referral criteria
- Current patient management
- Impact of the problem on the patient
- Name of the consultant and provider number (for Medicare clinics)
- Investigation reports related to the referral
Urgent and after-hours support
Referrals are triaged based on priority. In an emergency, patients can go to the Emergency & Trauma Service at any time.
For advice, urgent referrals and out of hours support, call The RMH Switchboard on (03) 9342 7000 to page our registrar on call.
Statewide referral criteria for clinicians strengthens referrals to specialised services in public hospitals and improves access to non-admitted services. You can browse or search by specialty or medical condition.
HealthPathways Melbourne provides guidance on best practice assessment and management of common medical conditions, including when and where to refer patients.
Parkville Connect is a secure web-based portal providing GPs, specialists and other health professionals with information in the Parkville electronic medical record (EMR).
The Royal Melbourne Hospital (RMH) Comprehensive Stroke Care Centre is a world-renowned tertiary academic unit that provides leading care for patients from across Victoria.
The RMH Stroke Unit is staffed at all hours by an on-call neurology registrar. As a designated statewide endovascular centre, endovascular clot retrieval services are also available at all hours for patients across Victoria.
The RMH Stroke Research Group is based in the Melbourne Brain Centre and runs an active program including world-leading clinical trials. The RMH has produced world-renowned clinical trials in endovascular clot retrieval (EXTEND-IA) and stroke thrombolysis (EXTEND-IA TNK, EXTEND-IA TNK).
Patients may be asked to participate in our research projects to help improve the care and treatment of stroke patients in future.
What to bring
Every time you come
Every time you come in for a test, day procedure, surgery or treatment, you should bring:
- Medicare card
- Health Care card (if you have one)
- Concession card (if you have one)
- Adverse drug alert card (if you have one)
- Medications you are currently taking, including any that you have bought without a prescription
- X-ray films, scans, ultrasounds or any other test results you have which are related to your procedure
- Private health insurance card (if you want to use it)
- Aids (glasses, hearing aid, walking frame)
For a clinic appointment
If you come for a clinic appointment, you should also bring:
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- Your appointment book
- TAC or WorkCover claim number
Interpreters & cultural support
We provide qualified, professional interpreters to help you communicate with us at any time during your stay and at your clinic appointments.
- Μάθετε περισότερα γιά διερμηνείς & υποστήριξη κουλτούρας
- Scopri di più sugli interpreti e sul supporto culturale
- Tercümanlar ve kültürel destek hakkında daha fazla bilgi edinmek için
- Tìm hiểu thêm về thông dịch viên và hỗ trợ văn hóa
- لمزيدٍ من المعلومات عن خدمة الترجمة الشفهية والخدمات الثقافية
300 Grattan St, Parkville, Victoria