The Royal Melbourne Hospital (RMH) is governed by our Executive team, Board, Committees and working groups.
The Royal Melbourne Hospital (RMH) is one of Australia’s leading public healthcare providers.
Melbourne Health, operating as the RMH, was created and incorporated as a Metropolitan Health Service pursuant to the Health Services (Governance) Act 2000 and an associated Order by the Governor in Council dated 28 June, 2000.
The functions of the board of a public health service are prescribed by the Health Services (Governance and Accountability) Act 2004. Some of those functions are to:
- Develop statements of priorities and strategic plans for the operation of the public health service and to monitor compliance with those statements and plans
- Develop financial and business plans, strategies and budgets to ensure accountable and efficient provision of health services by the public health service and the long-term financial viability of the public health service
- Establish and maintain effective systems to ensure that the health services provided meet the needs of the communities served by the public health service and that the views of users and providers of health services are taken into account
- Monitor the performance of the public health service
- Facilitate health research and education
In performing its functions and exercising its powers, the board of a public health service must have regard to:
- The needs and views of patients and other users of the health services that the public health service provides and the community that the public health service serves
- The need to ensure that the public health service uses its resources in an effective and efficient manner
- The need to ensure that resources of the Victorian public health sector generally are used effectively and efficiently
The Royal Melbourne Hospital (RMH) Executive Management team consists of the Chief Executive and Executive Directors.Find out more
The Royal Melbourne Hospital (RMH) Board currently comprises 10 independent non-executive directors.Find out more
The board has established several sub-committees, advisory and advocacy committees.Find out more