We provide support to new clients with congenital and developmental disabilities, such as spina bifida and hydrocephalus, as they transition from paediatric to adult healthcare services.
- The Young Adults Transition Service (YATS) works closely with other speciality clinics within the RMH, other healthcare facilities, and the community
- We aim to improve the quality of life for young adults with congenital disabilities by providing the resources to manage their ongoing health care needs
- A specialist wheelchair and seating service is available for patients who qualify and/or access the YATS clinic at the RMH. This provides specialist wheelchair and seating assessments in collaboration with community therapists
- Care is provided individually from an interdisciplinary approach
- We accept community referrals
What we do
Our Young Adults Transition Service (YATS) provides assessment, recommendations for self-management and referrals to appropriate healthcare professionals for young adults.
The Young Adult Transition Service provides:
- Specialised clinical assessment, intervention and assistance to transition into adult services - for example, mobility assessment and psychosocial support and engagement
- Regular reviews to monitor health needs
- Liaison and referral to relevant services or clinics
- Sexual health counselling and referrals
- Seating and posture assessment
- Continence advice
- Wound and pressure injury risk assessment, prevention and management
Who can use our service
This service is available to young adults aged 18 years and over with congenital and developmental disabilities (such as spina bifida and hydrocephalus) who require assistance with managing their transition into adult medical and community services.
What to expect on your first visit
Your first appointment at YATS will involve seeing both a doctor and the allied health team.
At this visit you will be involved in developing a plan, establishing your personal health care goals, implementing recommendations and monitoring progress.
The service team will arrange for you to see other specialist teams such as the Continence Service, Chronic Wound Service, Pain Management, Spasticity Clinic and the Wheelchair and Seating Clinic, if needed
Who will I see?
At YATS, you may see several health professionals from various disciplines, including:
- Rehabilitation physician
- Occupational therapist
- Social worker
- Rehab engineer
- Allied health assistant
How much does it cost?
There is no charge for this service.
How do I arrange an assessment?
Referrals can be made via the Direct Access Unit. Anyone can refer to the service, including medical practitioners and other healthcare professionals.
All referrals require an accompanying letter from your general practitioner (GP).
Direct Access Unit
We accept GP and specialist referrals:
- Use the RMH Community Services Referral Form, the RMH GP Referral Form or a template from your own system
- Complete and fax your referral to Direct Access Unit on (03) 8387 2217
DAU welcomes phone enquiries. Contact us on (03) 8387 2333 to discuss potential or existing referrals.
Referrals should include:
- Relevant clinical history
- Reason for referral
- Patient details including address, date of birth and contact phone numbers
- Your details and provider number
- Name of the consultant (for Medicare clinics)
- Investigation reports related to the referral
Referrals are triaged based on priority. In an emergency, patients can go to the Emergency & Trauma Service at any time.
For advice, urgent referrals and out of hours support, call The RMH Switchboard on (03) 9342 7000 to page our registrar on call.
HealthPathways Melbourne provides guidance on best practice assessment and management of common medical conditions, including when and where to refer patients.
Parkville Connect is a secure web-based portal providing GPs, specialists and other health professionals with information in the Parkville electronic medical record (EMR).
Interpreters & cultural support
We provide qualified, professional interpreters to help you communicate with us at any time during your stay and at your clinic appointments.
- Μάθετε περισότερα γιά διερμηνείς & υποστήριξη κουλτούρας
- Scopri di più sugli interpreti e sul supporto culturale
- Tercümanlar ve kültürel destek hakkında daha fazla bilgi edinmek için
- Tìm hiểu thêm về thông dịch viên và hỗ trợ văn hóa
- لمزيدٍ من المعلومات عن خدمة الترجمة الشفهية والخدمات الثقافية