We provide elective, emergency and kidney transplantation surgery for people with kidney disease or those wanting to donate a kidney.
- Our kidney surgery team performs procedures for both general surgery and kidney care
- Our team comprises four dedicated surgeons
- We are happy to provide a second opinion for patients.
What we do
Our kidney surgery team performs procedures for both general surgery and kidney care, including:
- General surgery, including cholecystectomy and hernia repairs
- Endocrine surgery, including parathyroid surgery
- Peritoneal dialysis surgery
- Kidney donor surgery
- Living and deceased donor kidney transplant recipient surgery
- Vascular access surgery with arteriovenous fistulae, grafts and long-term dialysis catheters, including fistula revision work
Our team comprises four dedicated surgeons. All donor surgery is performed as laparoscopic hand assisted surgery, to maximise the safety for the donor, and results have been excellent.
We are happy to provide a second opinion for patients.
We provide outreach clinics in Ballarat, Mildura, Wodonga, Launceston and Hobart to assess patients for either donor or transplant surgery and also for dialysis access surgery. In these clinics, patients are seen in joint consultations with a nephrologist, transplant nurses and a renal (kidney) social worker. This obviously saves patients a lot of travel to Melbourne for assessment or re-assessment.
|Nephrology Surgery Clinic||The RMH Parkville|
We accept GP and specialist referrals:
- Use The RMH GP Referral Form or a template from your own system
- Complete and fax your referral to Specialist Clinics (Outpatients) on (03) 9342 4234
As outlined by the Department of Health, referral requests should include:
- Patient demographic information
- Referrer demographic information
- Reason for referral
- Presenting problem
- Service(s) requested
- Required referral information specified by statewide or local referral criteria
- Current patient management
- Impact of the problem on the patient
- Name of the consultant and provider number (for Medicare clinics)
- Investigation reports related to the referral
Referrals are triaged based on priority. In an emergency, patients can go to the Emergency & Trauma Service at any time.
For advice, urgent referrals and out of hours support, call The RMH Switchboard on (03) 9342 7000 to page our registrar on call.
HealthPathways Melbourne provides guidance on best practice assessment and management of common medical conditions, including when and where to refer patients.
Parkville Connect is a secure web-based portal providing GPs, specialists and other health professionals with information in the Parkville electronic medical record (EMR).
Need to change or cancel your appointment?
Do one of the following:
- Access Health Hub to change the appointment yourself
- Complete our online form and we'll change it for you
- Call Specialist Clinics (Outpatients) on (03) 9342 7393 and we'll help you over the phone
What to bring
Every time you come
Every time you come in for a test, day procedure, surgery or treatment, you should bring:
- Medicare card
- Health Care card (if you have one)
- Concession card (if you have one)
- Adverse drug alert card (if you have one)
- Medications you are currently taking, including any that you have bought without a prescription
- X-ray films, scans, ultrasounds or any other test results you have which are related to your procedure
- Private health insurance card (if you want to use it)
- Aids (glasses, hearing aid, walking frame)
For a clinic appointment
If you come for a clinic appointment, you should also bring:
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- Your appointment book
- TAC or WorkCover claim number
Interpreters & cultural support
We provide qualified, professional interpreters to help you communicate with us at any time during your stay and at your clinic appointments.
- Μάθετε περισότερα γιά διερμηνείς & υποστήριξη κουλτούρας
- Scopri di più sugli interpreti e sul supporto culturale
- Tercümanlar ve kültürel destek hakkında daha fazla bilgi edinmek için
- Tìm hiểu thêm về thông dịch viên và hỗ trợ văn hóa
- لمزيدٍ من المعلومات عن خدمة الترجمة الشفهية والخدمات الثقافية
Level 1 South East
300 Grattan St, Parkville, Victoria
Level 3 East
300 Grattan St, Parkville, Victoria