Outpatient clinics at the Royal Melbourne Hospital provide consultations for public patients in a range of clinical specialties.
Some services have special referral instructions - find the clinical service to read more.
Outpatient clinics are run at the RMH City Campus and RMH Royal Park campus.
Statewide Referral Criteria
The Department of Health and Human Services has developed statewide referral criteria to assist GPs and clinicians referring patients to outpatient clinics. These referral criteria have been developed to improve access to outpatient clinics in public hospitals by improving the quality and appropriateness of referrals.
Statewide referral criteria improve patients’ outpatient experience and ensure that:
- Patient referrals are assessed against the same criteria in all Victorian public hospital outpatient clinics
- Referral and communication processes between referrers and outpatient clinic services are improved.
- Referring clinicians know when a referral to a public outpatient clinic is required and the information that should be included in the referral.
- Outpatient clinics have the right information on the referral documentation to assess and accept the referral.
Statewide Referral criteria for common conditions in the following specialties are currently in use:
We accept GP and specialist referrals for all outpatient clinics.
Referrals are triaged depending on priority. Emergency cases can present to the Emergency and Trauma Service at any time.
To refer a patient, complete and send your referral to Outpatients by fax to (03) 9342 4234.
You can use the following form or a template from your own system:
Referrals should include:
- relevant clinical history for the patient
- the reason for referral
- patient details including address, date of birth and contact phone numbers
- your provider number
- the name of the consultant (for Medicare clinics)
Any outpatient phone enquiries, please call Outpatients.