Volunteers offer a helping hand - do you want to make a difference at the Royal Melbourne Hospital?
We have approximately 500 volunteers working across the Royal Melbourne Hospital Volunteer Service City and Royal Park campuses.
RMH volunteers complement the care provided by our staff by generously giving their time to enhance the comfort and well-being of patients and their loved ones. They also assist with fundraising activities such as events, raffles and stalls. Funds raised by the Volunteer Service provide much needed items to benefit patient care.
Our volunteers are valued members of the team who support our patients and their family and friends, often through difficult times.
Volunteering can provide you with:
- A knowledge that, each and every day, you are helping people
- Social interaction and friendship with other volunteers and staff
- An opportunity to learn new skills
- An opportunity to give back to and be part of our community
How to apply
Complete the volunteering application form
If you need a hard copy of the form please ask a volunteer guide at RMH City Campus or contact the Volunteer Service
You will invited to attend an RMH Volunteer Information Session, which are held several times each year
At the information session you will be asked to nominate times to attend a group interview
After the interview we will complete reference checks and a police check
If successful, you will be asked to attend 2 days of volunteer induction and complete supervised volunteer shifts before to starting your role
To be eligible to volunteer with us you need to be:
- able to commit to a regular 4 hour shift each week for at least 12 months - holidays are of course allowed
- willing to undergo a mandatory blood test and receive vaccinations if deemed necessary
- willing to complete an interview and police check
- have a willing attitude, enthusiasm and a smile
- want to help improve the experience of our patients and their loved ones
- committed to our organisational values of Caring, Excellence, Integrity, Respect and Unity
- keen to support people from diverse backgrounds and older people
- between 18 and 100 years of age
Volunteering opportunities at The Royal Melbourne Hospital
Ward Assist Roles
Providing direct support to patients, visitors and staff as part of a ward team. Ward assist volunteers support wards at:
Patient and Visitor Support Roles
Volunteers provide a number of important patient and visitor supports including:
Take second-hand magazines & books around to wards and clinics for patients and carers to read and assist in maintaining our library of donated books and magazines.
Fundraising and Stalls - RMH Foundation
Supporting RMH Foundation fundraising through:
Provide important background support to various departments with administration tasks such as mail-outs and data entry.
Representing patient, consumer and carer views on how we provide our services through participating in committees, working groups, focus groups, surveys and other activities. Find out more about consumer representatives
A number of volunteers in RMH fulfil specialist roles. Expressions of interest are sought periodically from existing volunteers. Additional interviews are completed by the local area managers prior to accepting volunteers to these roles.
Please contact us for more information if you are interested in these positions - we'd love to have you part of our volunteering team!
The RMH Volunteer Service is proudly supported by Smartsalary.