Volunteers offer a helping hand - do you want to make a difference at the Royal Melbourne Hospital?
We have over 400 volunteers working across the Royal Melbourne Hospital Volunteer Service City and Royal Park campuses.
RMH volunteers complement the care provided by our staff by generously giving their time to enhance the comfort and well-being of patients and their loved ones. They also assist with fundraising activities such as events, raffles and stalls. Funds raised by the Volunteer Service provide much needed items to benefit patient care.
Our volunteers are valued members of the team who support our patients and their family and friends, often through difficult times.
People who volunteer with Melbourne Health often also find great satisfaction in learning about themselves and about their community
Volunteering can provide you with:
- a knowledge that each and every day you are helping people
- social interaction and friendship with other volunteers and staff
- an opportunity to learn new skills
- opportunities for personal growth and development
- an opportunity to give back to and be part of our broadly diverse community
To be eligible to volunteer with us you need to:
- Commit to a regular 4 hour shift each week for at least 12 months
- Undergo a mandatory blood test and receive vaccinations if deemed necessary
- Provide two professional or academic references (not friend, family, or family doctor)
- Complete an interview and police check
- Attend the Melbourne Health staff and volunteer orientation
- Take part in 2 - 3 days of volunteer training and induction
- Comply with yearly mandatory training
- Comply with relevant Melbourne Health policies and procedures, including confidentiality agreements and a volunteer code of conduct
- Be committed to our organisational values of Caring, Excellence, Integrity, Respect and Unity
- Genuinely want to help improve the experience of our patients and their loved ones
- Be keen to support people from diverse backgrounds and older people
- Be well presented
- Be kind, caring, enthusiastic, and willing
- Be between 18 and 100 years of age
Information session, interview and training
Each step in the recruitment process is compulsory. As we receive large numbers of applications, we are not able to change the dates for the information sessions, interviews or training.
If your application is successful, we will invite you to attend an information session which will provide details on the application process, available roles in the hospital, role clarity and fulfilling and challenging aspects of volunteering.
Group interviews, police checks and reference checks
Applicants who are successful and attend an Information Session will then be invited to attend one group interview (dates and times to be confirmed), will be asked to complete a police check online at no cost to the applicant. Reference checks will also be conducted.
There will three days of training from 9am to 5pm (dates to be confirmed) to prepare new volunteers for their roles.
How to apply
We are not currently taking applications to volunteer for the Royal Melbourne Hospital. If you would like to apply for our next intake, please complete the expression of interest and we will contact you when we open applications for all roles in mid-2019
The RMH Volunteer Service is proudly supported by Smartsalary.