Volunteers offer a helping hand - do you want to make a difference at the Royal Melbourne Hospital?
We have over 400 volunteers working across the Royal Melbourne Hospital Volunteer Service City and Royal Park campuses.
RMH volunteers complement the care provided by our staff by generously giving their time to enhance the comfort and well-being of patients and their loved ones. They also assist with fundraising activities such as events, raffles and stalls. Funds raised by the Volunteer Service provide much needed items to benefit patient care.
Our volunteers are valued members of the team who support our patients and their family and friends, often through difficult times.
People who volunteer with Melbourne Health often also find great satisfaction in learning about themselves and about their community
Volunteering can provide you with:
- a knowledge that each and every day you are helping people
- social interaction and friendship with other volunteers and staff
- an opportunity to learn new skills
- opportunities for personal growth and development
- an opportunity to give back to and be part of our broadly diverse community
To be eligible to volunteer with us you need to:
- Commit to a regular 4 hour shift each week for at least 12 months
- Undergo a mandatory blood test and receive vaccinations if deemed necessary
- Provide two professional or academic references (not friend, family, or family doctor)
- Complete an interview and police check
- Attend the Melbourne Health staff and volunteer orientation
- Take part in 2 - 3 days of volunteer training and induction
- Comply with yearly mandatory training
- Comply with relevant Melbourne Health policies and procedures, including confidentiality agreements and a volunteer code of conduct
- Be committed to our organisational values of Caring, Excellence, Integrity, Respect and Unity
- Genuinely want to help improve the experience of our patients and their loved ones
- Be keen to support people from diverse backgrounds and older people
- Be well presented
- Be kind, caring, enthusiastic, and willing
- Be between 18 and 100 years of age
How to apply
Our next round of applications for volunteering will open from 1 November 2018 until 2 January 2019.
Melbourne Health encourages diversity among our volunteers, and recruits prospective volunteers from a broad range of abilities and backgrounds. Melbourne Health adheres to the principle of right to equal treatment without discrimination.
If you have specific needs in order to participate in our volunteer roles, please let us know.
Find the volunteer role you would like to apply for
Complete the volunteering application form
Successful applicants take part in a phone interview and a group interview
After the interview we will complete reference checks and a police check
Successful applicants will be asked to attend 2 – 3 days of orientation and volunteer induction
Complete supervised volunteer shifts before starting a role as an RMH Volunteer
The RMH Volunteer Service is proudly supported by Smartsalary.