Volunteers offer a helping hand - do you want to make a difference at the Royal Melbourne Hospital?
We have over 400 volunteers working across the Royal Melbourne Hospital Volunteer Service City and Royal Park campuses.
RMH volunteers complement the care provided by our staff by generously giving their time to enhance the comfort and well-being of patients and their loved ones.
Our volunteers are valued members of the team who support our patients and their family and friends, often through difficult times.
People who volunteer with Melbourne Health often also find great satisfaction in learning about themselves and about their community
Volunteering can provide you with:
- a knowledge that each and every day you are helping people
- social interaction and friendship with other volunteers and staff
- an opportunity to learn new skills
- opportunities for personal growth and development
- an opportunity to give back to and be part of our broadly diverse community
To be eligible to volunteer with us you need to:
- Commit to a regular 4 hour shift each week for at least 12 months
- Undergo a mandatory blood test and receive vaccinations if deemed necessary
- Provide two professional or academic references (not friend, family, or family doctor)
- Complete an interview and police check
- Attend the Melbourne Health staff and volunteer orientation
- Take part in 2 - 3 days of volunteer training and induction
- Comply with yearly mandatory training
- Comply with relevant Melbourne Health policies and procedures, including confidentiality agreements and a volunteer code of conduct
- Be committed to our organisational values of Caring, Excellence, Integrity, Respect and Unity
- Genuinely want to help improve the experience of our patients and their loved ones
- Be keen to support people from diverse backgrounds and older people
- Be well presented
- Be kind, caring, enthusiastic, and willing
- Be between 18 and 100 years of age
How to apply
We are not currently taking applications to volunteer for the Royal Melbourne Hospital.