There is a range of specialised support services available in Victoria to help people with mental health problems.

In an emergency, call 000

If you are in an emergency situation where you are worried about your safety or someone else's, call 000 for an immediate response.

If you need to talk, contact Lifeline, SuicideLine or Beyond Blue.

Crisis services

The following services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Beyond Blue

Information and advice, plus assistance on where to seek further support


Confidential alcohol and drug counselling

SHARC: Family Drug & Gambling Help

Support for family members and friends who are concerned about a loved one’s alcohol and other drug use

Gambling Help Online

Counselling, information and support for anyone affected by gambling

Kids Helpline

Information and counselling services for children and their families


Crisis support and suicide prevention

Maternal & Child Health Line

Support and counselling for Victorian families with children from birth to school age


Support and counselling services for men

Safe Steps

Family violence response service for anyone in Victoria who is experiencing or afraid of family violence


Free professional phone and online counselling for people living in Victoria

Western Region Centre Against Sexual Assault (WestCASA)

24-hour crisis care for people 18 years of age and over who have recently (in the last 2 weeks) been sexually assaulted

Consumer and carer support services

Al-Anon and Alateen

Help for families and friends of alcoholics to recover from the effects of living with someone whose drinking is a problem

Alcoholics Anonymous

Support for people with alcohol problems

Anxiety Disorders Association of Victoria

Support, information and resources for people with anxiety and depression

Anxiety Recovery Centre Victoria

Support, recovery and educational services to people and families living with anxiety disorders

Merri Health: Carer support

Flexible, individualised help for carers

Carers Victoria

Information and support for caring families in Victoria

headspace: Online and phone support

Information and services for young people, their families and friends


Care and support for people experiencing loss and grief, at any stage of life

Mind Australia

Community and residential services in Victoria for people living with mental illness and carers

Neami National

NEAMI Mental Health Community Support Services intake service


Confidential and anonymous counselling and support on parenting issues for parents and carers


Confidential telephone counselling service for smokers wanting to quit


Information, guidance and referrals to manage mental health concerns


Support for carers, family and friends of people living with mental health issues

Victorian Mental Illness Awareness Council (VMIAC)

Peer support and advocacy for people living with mental health challenges

Multicultural services

Action on Disability within Ethic Communities (ADEC)

Support for people with disabilities from ethnic backgrounds, their carers and families to empower them to fully participate in the community

Victorian Aboriginal Health Service (VAHS)

Services that address the health and medical needs of Victorian Aboriginal communities, including women's health, men's health and family counselling

Health Complaints Commissioner

Impartial complaints resolution about health services for all Victorians

Mental Health and Wellbeing Commission

An independent statutory authority that holds government to account for the performance, quality and safety of Victoria’s mental health and wellbeing system.

Mental Health Legal Centre (MHLC)

Free and confidential legal service to people with a lived experience of mental illness or involvement with the mental health system

Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA)

Advocacy for people who have been placed or are at risk of being placed on a compulsory treatment order

Office of the Public Advocate

Advice service for people with disability and mental illness

Victorian Legal Aid

Help for Victorians with legal issues

Victorian Ombudsman

Complaints about an action or decision made by a Victorian public organisation

Last updated 02 November 2022