We are actively recruiting hospital medical officers (HMOs) who have an interest in joining the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists (RANZCP) psychiatry training program as an HMO or unaccredited registrar.
HMOs employed directly by us work in positions on our inpatient units or general adult community teams. These positions are a wonderful opportunity to work in similar positions to our trainees.
The positions are supervised by experienced consultant psychiatrists committed to excellence in mental health care, and who are enthusiastic to supervise those with interested in psychiatry as a career.
We view this year as an introduction to psychiatry training and therefore aim to employ those with experience in psychiatry and a demonstrated interest in pursuing a career in psychiatry.
We encourage all those who complete an HMO or unaccredited registrar year with us to then apply to join psychiatry training as a first-year registrar in the next year.
- Completed a medical degree in Australia or New Zealand and be able to provide evidence of your qualifications
- Full general medical registration status with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
- Be eligible to work in Australia without employer sponsorship
- Demonstrated interest in pursuing a career in psychiatry
- One to two years of junior general medical experience
- Demonstrated effective communication skills, including the ability to work within multidisciplinary teams
- Demonstrated commitment to the RMH values in your work: People First, Lead with Kindness, Excellence Together
Are you an International Medical Graduate (IMG) HMO?
Find out more about the IMG HMO selection criteria.
1. Submit an application to us
Submit your application online using our online recruitment system.
Make sure you:
- Complete all required fields of the online application form
- Upload a cover letter and CV
- Complete the online declaration
2. Organise references
If you fulfil the essential criteria, you will be sent a link to provide the details of your three referees.
These referees must be:
- Consultants – ideally psychiatrists who you have worked with in the last two years
- Contactable via work email – personal email addresses will not be accepted
Your referees will be sent a link to provide a secure and direct online reference. It is your responsibility to ensure that your referees complete their online reference for you.
Your application will not be considered complete until all three referees have completed their online reference.
If you do not fulfil the essential criteria, you will not be shortlisted for interview or appointment.
3. Attend panel interview
- Applications are shortlisted based on the selection criteria, cover letter, CV and references
- We will contact you to advise the date, time and location of the interview
- You will be interviewed by a two-member panel comprising the Chief Medical Officer and Director of Clinical Service
- Written applications (cover letter and CV), references and performance on interview will then be considered by the panel
- You will be advised of the outcome in the weeks after your interview