After first year, we have the capacity to rotate registrars through a broad range of positions that meet the RANZCP Stage 2 training requirements in consultation-liaison, child and adolescent and old age psychiatry training.
Our mandatory rotations include:
- Hospital-based consultation liaison psychiatry at the Royal Children's Hospital and community positions in the west of Melbourne
- Consultation liaison psychiatry positions at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Western Hospital Sunshine, Western Hospital Footscray and Northern Hospital
- Aged Persons Mental Health Program positions based at Royal Park, Broadmeadows, Sunshine and Bundoora
Other opportunities and subspecialties
Beyond the RANZCP mandatory training requirements, we have a wide variety of general integrated adult community and residential units (PARC, CCU, SECU) for more senior registrars.
We also have close links with other services to provide wonderful opportunities to train in many subspecialty areas, including:
- Forensic psychiatry via Forensicare statewide forensic mental health service
- Perinatal psychiatry via Mercy Werribee Mother-Baby Unit
- Addiction psychiatry via Western Health Drug Health Service, Integrated Alcohol and Other Drug Service and Regen at Northern Area Mental Health Service
- Private psychiatry via The Melbourne Clinic and Albert Road Clinic
- Centralised Triage service covering all mental health referrals
- Homeless mental health based at the RMH
- Research via the University of Melbourne Department of Psychiatry
- Aboriginal mental health based at Northern Area Mental Health Service
- Shared care positions with MidWest and NorthWest Area Mental Health Services
Senior registrars who undertake their training with us can also apply to the Royal Women’s Hospital, the Eating Disorder Unit & Neuropsychiatry Units at the RMH.
- Completed a medical degree and be able to provide evidence of your qualifications
- Full general medical registration status with Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) at the commencement of training (note that current interns are eligible to apply)
- Be eligible to work in Australia without employer sponsorship
- Ideally two years of junior general medical or HMO experience
- Demonstrated effective communication skills including the ability to work within multidisciplinary teams
- Demonstrated commitment to the RMH values in your work: People First, Lead with Kindness, Excellence Together
- Current Australian State or Territory driver licence
1. Submit an application to us
Submit your application online using our online recruitment system.
Make sure you:
- Upload a cover letter and CV
- Complete all required fields within the online application
- Complete the online declaration
2. Organise references
If you fulfil the essential criteria, you will be sent a link to provide the details of your three referees.
These referees must be:
- Consultants – ideally psychiatrists who you have worked with in the last two years
- Contactable via work email – personal email addresses will not be accepted
Your referees will be sent a link to provide a secure and direct online reference. It is your responsibility to ensure that your referees complete their online reference for you.
Your application will not be considered complete until all three referees have completed their online reference.
If you do not fulfil the essential criteria, you will not be shortlisted for interview or appointment.
3. Attend panel interview
Applications are shortlisted based on the selection criteria, cover letter, CV and references.
We will contact you to advise the date, time and location of the interview.
You will be interviewed by a two-member panel that comprises the Chief Medical Officer and Director of Clinical Service.
Written applications (cover letter and CV), references and performance on interview will then be considered by the panel.
You will be advised of the outcome in the weeks after your interview.
Links & documents
Find out more about current vacancies in our mental health services on the Royal Melbourne Hospital online recruitment system.