We have a proud tradition of employing overseas-trained doctors on the Specialist and Specialist Specified Training (SST) pathways with the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists (RANZCP).
Psychiatry consultants/specialists from other countries generally start with us as Specialist International Medical Graduate (SIMG) senior registrars, on the RANZCP Partial Comparability pathway.
They work at the senior registrar level with supervision and participate in the excellent exam preparation tutorials available to local registrars to assist in their exam preparation, as well as the opportunity to work with consultant psychiatrists across our network who are familiar with the SIMG experience and their unique training needs.
Those who need to undertake one to two years of additional training outside their country of origin can work as a senior registrar on the RANZCP SST pathway.
We are not able to employ those who have completed their training overseas as a consultant who do not yet have RANZCP fellowship, so do not have the capacity to employ SIMGs on the Substantial Comparability pathway.
Find out more about overseas specialist requirements from the RANZCP.
- Primary qualification in medicine and surgery awarded by a training institution listed in the current International Medical Education Directory (IMED) of the Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER), and so eligible to apply for assessment under the standard pathway with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
- Have already applied for primary source verification of their primary qualifications by the Australian Medical Council (AMC).
- Must have passed their AMC MCQ and clinical examinations
- Achieved a high standard on English language testing (IELTS >8 band score) given the need for high proficiency in English in psychiatric practice
- Meet the recency of practice standard with AHPRA, with no breaks in clinical practice
- Demonstrated interest in pursuing a career in psychiatry via experience in psychiatry positions
- Demonstrated effective communication skills, including the ability to work within multidisciplinary teams
- Demonstrated commitment to the RMH values in your work: People First, Lead with Kindness, Excellence Together
Are you an IMG hospital medical officer (HMO)?
Provided they fulfil our selection criteria, we occasionally employ a limited number of IMG HMOs. However, we only consider applications from IMG HMOs who have:
- Completed both parts of AMC examination process
- Reasonable psychiatry experience at a postgraduate level
Are you training to be a GP or emergency physician?
We also employ those training within the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP) and the Australasian College for Emergency Medicine (ACEM) who are wanting psychiatry experience during their pathway to fellowship as a GP or emergency physician.
1. Submit an application to us
Submit your application online using our online recruitment system.
Make sure you:
- Complete all required fields of the online application form
- Upload a cover letter and CV
- Complete the online declaration
2. Submit IMG Application Enquiry form
Submit an IMG Application Enquiry form, plus a copy of your International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or equivalent.
This form will be available for download on the job advertisement on our online recruitment system.
3. Organise references
If you fulfil the essential criteria, you will be sent a link to provide the details of your three referees.
These referees must be:
- Consultants – ideally psychiatrists who you have worked with in the last two years
- Contactable via work email – personal email addresses will not be accepted
Your referees will be sent a link to provide a secure and direct online reference. It is your responsibility to ensure that your referees complete their online reference for you.
Your application will not be considered complete until all three referees have completed their online reference.
If you do not fulfil the essential criteria, you will not be shortlisted for interview or appointment.
4. Attend panel interview
- Applications are shortlisted based on the selection criteria, cover letter, CV and references.
- We will contact you to advise the date, time and location of the interview (there is the capacity to do this interview virtually).
- You will be interviewed by a two-member panel comprising the Chief Medical Officer and Director of Clinical Service.
- Written applications (cover letter and CV), references and performance at interview will then be considered by the panel.
- You will be advised of the outcome in the weeks after your interview.
If you are successful in your application to work with us as a SIMG Registrar, we will provide sponsorship for a temporary skilled visa.
This visa allows you to work full-time at our main mental health sites.
Find out more about visas and relocating to Australia on the Department of Home Affairs website.
Links & documents
Find out more about current vacancies in our mental health services on the Royal Melbourne Hospital online recruitment system.