Accidents do happen, so it's important if you are involved in a transport accident or a workplace accident, that you get the support you need to cover the cost of your treatment at the hospital.

Transport Accident Commission (TAC) regulations

If your attendance or admission to the Royal Melbourne Hospital (RMH) is related to a transport accident injury, you need to lodge a claim with the TAC. You will be asked to sign a Patient Election Form to enable us to assist you with initiating this claim.

While TAC aims to deliver your entitlements as quickly and efficiently as possible, this is reliant on you providing all relevant information, to assist with processing your claim in a timely manner.

After your claim has been approved, if you attend the Royal Melbourne Hospital for treatment for your accident injuries (post initial admission), you will need to have your claim number available to inform staff, so that we can forward your associated costs to TAC for payment.

Failure to lodge a TAC claim may result in accounts being forwarded to you for payment.

For more information about transport accidents, visit the TAC.


If an accident or serious incident has occurred while you are at work both employers and injured workers are required to follow steps to ensure they meet their obligations in the claims process.

If you have suffered a workplace injury, you must report it to your employer as soon as possible. If your attendance or admission to the Royal Melbourne Hospital is related to a workplace accident or injury, you need to ensure that a claim is made through WorkCover (VWA) by your employer.

If you have not notified your employer within 30 days of becoming aware of the injury, you may not be entitled to compensation.

You need to provide the Royal Melbourne Hospital with correct employer details in order for all associated WorkCover invoices to be forwarded to them for payment. We will liaise with your employer on your behalf to settle all associated accounts; however we may need your assistance in following up any unsettled invoices.

For more information about WorkCover, visit WorkSafe Victoria.

Contact us
Patient Liaison Officers
Mon-Fri 8.00am-4.30pm
Overseas patients
(03) 9342 7305
Overseas patients - For invoice or payment related queries
(03) 9342 7048
The RMH Parkville
300 Grattan St, Parkville, Victoria
Last updated 30 March 2023